Seven

Billie

"Who are you texting?" I ask as I watch Maia stare down at her phone with a wide smile on her face, her cheeks tinted slightly pink.

"Alexis," she replies and taps out a message before looking over at me. "She's being really sweet."

I raise a brow.

"Alexis? Sweet? Sounds fake," I say and she laughs, showing me her phone so I can read the messages between them.

Maia: I'm 100% gonna fail i'm just gonna drop out lol

Alexis: nah, i've studied with you, you have this shit down.

Alexis: you got this, princess x

I don't know why, but my stomach twists when I see that last message. I thought Princess was our thing, but I guess it's just something she calls girls she's trying to get with, or is already getting with.

I know that I have no right to get jealous, after all I have no claim to Alexis. Not only are we not even close to being a couple, but Maia got with her first. I still can't help the feeling though, and I hate it.

Getting jealous and tripping over people is such a waste of time to me. Why get hung up over one person when you can just bounce around between multiple and not have to worry about getting your heart broken? I've been avoiding any sort of feelings with anyone for a while now, but Alexis seems to be throwing a wrench into that.

She just feels different somehow, like she has some hold on me. I can never get her out of my damn mind, it's driving me crazy.

"That's cute," I say simply and Maia nods happily then goes back to texting.

I look at my own phone and sigh softly when I see that Alexis still hasn't replied to my text from this morning.

I don't care. I don't care. I don't care.

"I know she's an asshole a lot of the time but she totally has a sweet and romantic side somewhere. She had a girlfriend all of Sophomore year and they were, like, all sappy and shit in the halls," she says as her eyes stay glued to her phone, while my eyebrows raise in interest.

"Really? I thought she made it clear she's not the relationship type."

Maia shrugs, "She used to be I guess. When she first came to our school it was obvious she didn't want to be there but she was still nice and outgoing, and she was totally head over heels for this girl that graduated last year. They dated for like a year and everyone thought they were adorable. It was really weird, Alexis just cheated on her and started sleeping around and turned into a cold bitch out of nowhere. Everyone was confused."

"Weird," I mumble absentmindedly and think to myself, wondering if Alexis' sudden change in personality had something to do with her brother being killed. I mean, it most likely does, that kind of thing would turn most people into an icy bitch. If Fin died I'd be a fucking monster.

I wonder if Maia and her classmates even know Alexis lost her brother, let alone how.

"You guys talk sometimes, right?" Maia asks and I nod.

"Yeah, we chat."

Among other things.

"Can I invite her over for our movie night?" she asks hopefully and I make a face. "Please! I'll tell her to bring a friend so you won't be a third wheel. She has hot friends."

She gives me that pout of hers that always gets to me and I sigh in defeat. I'm pretty good at standing my ground and saying no to people when I'm not feeling something, but when it comes to the people I care about I'm a total pushover. And I love Maia Chambers like a sister, so here we are.