CHAPTER FORTY-SIX

I fear our involvement with the Russians might be counterproductive, much like our egregious error with the Italians, but Nikolai Vasiliev, in particular, is the only link I had to Warren

I fear our involvement with the Russians might be counterproductive, much like our egregious error with the Italians, but Nikolai Vasiliev, in particular, is the only link I had to Warren. He is the answer to unsolved problems and unresolved issues, and at some undetermined time in the future, he will possess the power, authority and jurisdiction to exonerate wrongly convicted criminals.

Once bitten, twice shy.

You are reluctant to trust outsiders once bruised by unpleasant experiences. Warren Enterprise has encountered its fair share of unpleasantries in the past. Alberto Moretti was not the first rival, nor Flamur Bajramovic or the crazy Olsen twins. We have battled snakes for as long as I can remember (opposition comes with the territory); however, losing to the Italians was unprecedentedly large by historical standards, and it changed the syndicate's dynamics momentously.

Now, everyone is a suspect with an ulterior motive, thanks to Moretti, the lying, two-faced, opportunistic tosser and his entourage of preponderantly disloyal ilks.

By all accounts, Nikolai is in London for one purpose, to protect his younger brother, Lyov, who is doing a stint in Belmarsh for a crime unbeknownst to the general public.

How mysteriously convenient?

The first task for this evening: Ask the pale-faced politician why he abused his power to the highest degree to conceal the truth behind his brother's crime.

According to Alessio, the other Russian halfwit, Warren offered to shelter Lyov in prison for the reduced sentence of ten years.

You see, I hate everything about the above.

Warren prided himself on retained independence and spurned indebtedness, yet he negotiated with dishonourable politicians in outright desperation.

Do I see the logic in the boss's commitment? Absolutely. Ten years imprisonment is better than a life sentence. Is a debt of gratitude worth a decade of dependability, though? Most certainly not.

I will dethrone Nikolai Vasiliev for Warren to regain sovereign power.

Warren can lay down the law, with or without restraints. He can take control of his future, contrary to the Russian's will. He will not fall into line for another man's satisfaction and contentment.

Exiting the venue through the gold revolving doors, I stepped onto the red carpet flanked by solid stanchions and velvet barrier ropes and headed to the black Mulsanne grand limousine parked down the street. It's one of many chauffeur-driven vehicles stored in the underground car park at Club 11, but we only use them for special occasions.

Ducking into the back passenger compartment, I slid across the heated leather seat, closing the door behind me. "I am Hank fucking Marvin."

Vincent smoked a blunt by the tinted window. His dismissive grunt told me that he was less than impressed by tonight's plan of action. He studied the venue's entrance with hawk-eyed restlessness, the whiskey-filled crystal glass resting on the seat between his parted thighs, an afterthought, by all accounts.