CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

Quinn and Steph bickered

Quinn and Steph bickered. If it were a typical day, I'd intervene, calm the pair down and send them in opposite directions. But time was of the essence, and I was not the best candidate for peace-making in my current mental state.

"Emma." Steph's long, honey blonde hair is weaved into two braids. "Can you come here for one second?"

Quinn tapped the male customer's order into the touch screen cash register with furious fingers. "I will hand in my notice if she raises a grievance."

I paused by the door adjacent to the flat's small, box-sized entrance hall.

"Em?" Quinn's eyes inspected every inch of my face. "Is everything okay?"

I never uttered a word, but my friend knew something was wrong.

"Hello." Steph, the girl I never hated but never quite liked, waved a hand in my face. "Earth to Emma."

"Shut up, Stephanie." Quinn was at my side within six strides. "I'll handle the cafe. Go upstairs. We can talk later."

Nodding numbly, I took the uncarpeted stairs two at a time, unlocked the front door to the flat and headed straight to Ben's bedroom. Borrowing his black hoodie and ball cap, I gripped the ring of keys on the kitchen table and, phone in hand, exited the cafe.

Light showers replaced the afternoon sun. I sprinted full pelt down the alleyway, reaching the parked car. Thrice, the keys fell on the floor due to the clumsiness of fingers. I fell onto the driver's seat, locked the seatbelt in place and slammed a foot down on the accelerator.

Brad's Bentley was gone, but his team still collected litter and scrubbed graffiti in his absence. It was only whilst looking for his friendly face I realised how much I had grown reliant and fond of him.

Ripping out of the alleyway, I drove onto the main road while thumbing through contacts on the phone.

I braked at the red traffic light.

Holding the phone to my ear, I kept a hand on the steering wheel.

"Good afternoon—"

"Hello," I interrupted the receptionist. "It's Emma, Carter Hughes' mother."

"Hello, Miss Hughes. What can I do for you?"

"I am on my way to collect Carter. I need you to take him to the office." My palms were sweaty. "Do not let anyone pick him up today, not even Ben. And do not let him out of your sight."

"Miss Hughes..." She was worried. "Is everything okay? Should the school be concerned? I can put the headteacher on the phone if you'd like."

"Everything is fine." Accelerating when the green light flashed, I switched gears. "But I need you to listen to me. Please, go and get my son and keep him somewhere safe until I arrive."