CHAPTER FORTY-ONE

I decided to host the syndicate's weekly meetings at the casino rather than Club 11

I decided to host the syndicate's weekly meetings at the casino rather than Club 11. In due time, Warren's new den of iniquity will be the only convergence of business, so acclimatisation is the exactness of what The Brotherhood required, dusty surfaces and rumbustious contractors be-damned.

Alternating between buildings to attend a closed-door conclave is tiresomely convoluted. It perplexed the men and fuelled oversimplification. Now, they have somewhere permanent to operate from, relax between shifts, and no excuses for tardiness. I am sick of postponing or delaying assignments because half of the men are disorientated, directionless and losing marbles of coordination on the other side of town.

"Has Mrs Warren legally registered a business name change at Companies House?" Nate examined the casino's gambling licence. "Andino's name is still on the front door. Also, we cannot open for business until safety regulators and hygiene agencies accredit sanitation and security. I can handle the liquor licence."

"Not to my knowledge." Picking up the cafetière, I poured black coffee into a white mug. "Did Warren mention a suitable company name when taking ownership of the casino?"

"No." Josh looked fresh-faced in his royal blue timeless suit and ice diamonds this morning. "I did, however, find business plans in his office the day we conveyed his belongings to the Manor's underground garage."

I sipped delectable coffee. "What kind of business plans?"

"Regulatory information regarding the hospitality industry." A pen twirled in his pinched fingers. "Not a franchise. From scratch."

I shared a surprised look with Nate.

"Warren never mentioned interest in hospitality before." Nate removed the black-framed reading glasses from his eyes. "Are you sure?"

"Positive." Josh twisted from side to side in the leather seat. "He was looking for a new investment."

"Well, the ignorant son of bitch is not satisfied with the casino, club, restaurant, and illicit trade wheeling underground. He might as well throw in a few measly hotel chains and a stadium to grow illegal crops whilst he's at it." Yes, I am salty, and it shows. "Who is this man? I feel like I don't know him anymore. What, with all these bastard secrets. Fuck the casino. Torch it for all I care. He doesn't deserve any of it."

Nate is entertained. "Have you finished?"

No, I had barely scratched the surface. "Not until I shiv the fucker and run."

"Must you always be so fatalistic?" Vincent wore an all-black two-piece suit today, dress shirt included. "It is pessimistic, is it not?"

I am ecstatic beyond measure. "I do not like your brand of sarcasm."

Vincent looked at me strangely.

"Anyway, back to the casino." Nate tossed the gambling licence onto the pop-up table. "Do we have a company name?"