CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

First Assignment: Medical supplies

I pulled up outside St George's Hospital, left the engine running and waited for our runner to make an appearance. He was given strict orders not to procrastinate on the ward or draw regrettable attention from the medical staff.

Let's see if he can get the job done competently.

Decreasing the music volume, I slid the vehicle's logbook onto my thighs to build a deck and, without squeezing too tightly, licked the seal and rolled a blunt. I lit the twisted end with a clipper flame, toked a long drag and luxuriated in the euphoric effects of haze.

My eyes closed in monetary peacefulness and repose.

I had never craved slumber this much in my entire life. If Nate wasn't in the vehicle, talking gibberish, I might have suspended reality for one minute and submitted to tiredness because I could barely string a sentence together.

"Get this." Nate's elbow gave me a nudge. "Alessio and Nikolai use the same email address to communicate."

Peeling my eyelids open, I reached for the coffee I'd purchased at the drive-through and swigged for a caffeine boost. "Why?"

"To eliminate network traffic and data servers." He scratched his jaw. "It's nigh on impossible for any intelligence team to trace unsent emails if they are hidden in the draft folder."

Well, he looked pretty damn pleased with himself. "Did you unearth anything interesting?"

"Political scandals," he said with a sadistic smile. "Hey, it can't be bad. It might work in our favour someday."

Warren had judges and politicians in his pocket. Did their alliance mean shit when his back was up against the wall? Did they show face or lose integrity when he was sentenced to life imprisonment or lend a hand with the final verdict? No, they turned a blind eye, walked in the opposite direction, and protected themselves. "So?"

He took off his black-framed reading glasses. "So, it's worth paying attention to."

I will entertain this garbage to appease him. "Unprosecuted scandals?"

"Flagrant bribery. Active soliciting. Lobbying activities. Extortion rackets and financial embezzlement." He showed me saved highlights and the names of politicians on his phone. "Police misconduct and violence concealment. Human trafficking, drugs, sexual affairs. Shit, It's an infinite inventory of tyranny and misrule."

"And they have the nerve to call us criminals." Rolling down the driver's side window, I respired a veil of smoke through the slight gap. "What does it matter? We are privy to the breadth of political corruption. It's not newsworthy for us."

Nate put his phone away.

A thought occurred. "Why is Nikolai keeping a record of political misconduct? I thought he had his sights set on the Mayor's Office."