CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

Josh looked like death, his complexion pale, his eyes protuberant yet unfocused

Josh looked like death, his complexion pale, his eyes protuberant yet unfocused. He is on the single bed, washed-out and half-dressed, black tracksuit bottoms low-slung on his waist, one sock rolled down on his ankle. Both wrists are handcuffed to the headboard now. Judging by the trashed room, broken furniture, launched bed linen and pools of vomit on the floor, additional restraint was imperative.

"We had no choice." Alexa, too cautious of Josh's current state of unpredictability, paused by the open door. "Jax uncuffed him, thinking he'd shower without a fuss, but he kicked off. He punched three of the guards, Jax included, and made it to the front of the Manor before Bruno attacked."

Well, that explained the missing sock.

"Bruno never hurt Josh." She stepped aside for two female cleaners to enter the room. "The dog's barking scared everyone, though. He can be quite vicious."

Bruno is a Roman rottweiler. He is a beast, weighing in at one hundred and thirty pounds of black-tan fur and solid muscle. Hell, if he came at me, I'd scream like a bitch, too.

I squatted next to the bed. "How's it going, Sailor?"

"Brad." Josh's dry, chapped lips scabbed at the corners. "I can't fucking do this. My stomach hurts. I swear there was blood the last time I threw up."

When I glanced at Alexa for validation, her head shook.

"No blood," I assured him, but he did not believe me. "Frequent clonidine administration?"

"Yes." Alexa watched the cleaners mop the floor. "Nate changed the IV bag recently, too."

"Where is Nate?" I used a cold compress to smooth sweaty hair out of the lad's face. "He should be here."

"Nate drove to Gateway to collect imported goods. I think he'll be on the streets until the morning."

Yes, the man took charge of drugs and firearms distribution. Once he delivers crates to our errand boys, he'll demand a percentage of their previous earnings and bank the money for Warren.

"Nate also mentioned a woman's name," she said with puckered brows. "He had to pick her up from somewhere. Essex, I think? Then drive her to the estate..."

I love it when Alexa probes for comprehension. It's not an instant demand. It's a soft, unforceful voice and false nonchalance to acquire knowledge, and if the other person is muted and unforthcoming, she'll switch it up, raise her voice and argue until satisfied.

It was easier for everyone to be open and honest with Warren's wife. And less of a headache. Besides, I trusted the woman with my life, so I had no reason to conceal information.

Josh had fallen asleep.

I binned the wet cloth. "Bosqui's daughter."

"Oh." A pleased smile teased her lips. "I would like to meet her."