CHAPTER FIFTY-SEVEN

Pain acknowledgement, emotional support or grief therapy cannot repair the void in my heart

Pain acknowledgement, emotional support or grief therapy cannot repair the void in my heart. Part of me died with my father, departed with him, but the eyes of his killer, free of guilt and burden, sat high atop of the stairs inside Elijah's home, watching two distressed, ungainly doctors stride, with dizzying swiftness, from one corner of the living room to the other.

They proposed abrogating their responsibilities as authoritative figures by concealing medical malpractice, which is absurd because they had already risked their professional credibility and medical licence the night they abandoned moralities and abetted the vanishment of 'diagnosed dementia patient', Mr Murphy.

It is delusional to think virtuousness is innate. Even the most glorified souls are susceptible to impressionability when in the eye of judgement because pride and selfishness overshadow the humiliation of accountability.

I should know. I spent many a dark night in isolation until forced to make amends for wrongdoing. I learned rather quickly that infallibility would only get me so far in life. I had to meet certain expectations and show traits of agreeableness and sorrowfulness in order to breathe freely again.

Maybe astuteness is the reason why I have survived this long. I have a clear understanding of how the world operates, and I am not stupid enough to believe that people care more about others instead of themselves.

Elijah's relationship with self-abasement is tiresome. He believed in taking ownership for gross misconduct. However, he's made no effort to pick up the phone and report Mr Murphy's death.

Hypocrite.

Mrs Gill (Celeste) is on the opposite side of the principle spectrum. She wanted to cover up their involvement in the unknown whereabouts of an incapacitated, elderly man.

Sweep it under the carpet.

Pretend it never happened.

Allow his daughter the responsibility of reparation. After all, we would not be in this mess had she not stolen money from a notorious criminal.

Celeste's spiteful comments touched a nerve. I never asked her for help. Elijah handled the situation fine without her, so why is she here? Oh, that's right. He called her after finding Mr Murphy's cold, lifeless body. Thirty minutes later, she showed up, pasty-faced and hysterical, overwrought with the dreaded prospect of employment termination because her occupation was more important than the deceased man upstairs, and her integrity took precedence over the distraught daughter.

Employment termination is the least of her worries. If the police uncover the truth behind Mr Murphy's mysterious disappearance from the care home, the doctors may very well land in jail. Poor Elijah. He is incapable of surviving prison. Inmates target the weakest link, and sadly, he is too nice for his own good. Celeste is an iron lady. I am sure she will adapt and thrive, despite the circumstance, because stubbornness will make damn sure of it.