CHAPTER FORTY-TWO

When I was younger, following the unanimous rejection of the Hughes family, the members of The Church of Jesus Christ of The Latter-day Saints and the traveller community, Ben moved us to a nearby town and declared homelessness to the council, whi...

When I was younger, following the unanimous rejection of the Hughes family, the members of The Church of Jesus Christ of The Latter-day Saints and the traveller community, Ben moved us to a nearby town and declared homelessness to the council, which eventuated emergency housing and local welfare assistance.

It was the most emotional experience of my life. I cried until it hurt to see and speak. But Ben, so strong and selfless, promised a better future, even though he had no sense of direction or a strategic plan, and I held onto every word because I never doubted him.

We sat on the makeshift bed in our impermanent flat, eating chicken noodles purchased from the local convenience store, and he talked for hours about the baby, the issue I never wanted to acknowledge, let alone discuss. He told colourful stories of how the small human blossoming in my stomach would be the only reason I breathed.

Someday, maybe not today or tomorrow, the baby will be the cynosure of life.

And Ben was right. Carter Hughes is the be-all and end-all of existence. How he became is not important. His father's blood no longer mattered. He is my son, my blessing, my second chance at redemption, and I loved him with all one's effort and desire.

Every choice I made revolved around him.

So, when Tommy, his eyes raw, red and puffy, re-entered the caravan this evening to pick up where we left off, went to one knee before me and put his head on my thigh, I touched his shoulder and expressed forgiveness.

I am older now.

I understand.

Tommy's only crime is defending his baby brother. He is not a horrible person, not to the core, unlike his father, Quintin, and Killian, the root of all evil. He made mistakes and wished to rectify them.

Am I bitter enough to stand in the way of atonement?

Can I forgive and forget for the sake of my son?

Yes, I can let-bygones-be-bygones and accept a sobbing man's apology because I healed a very long time ago.

I am at peace with our tragic past.

It was not easy to develop physical strength, spiritual growth and inner peace, but with the help of my brother and the unconditional love of my son, I found a place in the world where I felt free and unburdened. I learnt to appreciate and focus on good days and happy memories rather than sad times and avoidable mistakes.

Will I be the person I was supposed to be?

No, I doubt I will ever meet the woman I should have been before Killian.

Trauma meddled with fate.

But I can love the woman left in my abuser's wake and protect the little girl within.

Tommy's rough palms came to my cheeks as he searched for something in my eyes.

What is he looking for?