CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Tony's bird, Camilla, can knock together a mean roast

Tony's bird, Camilla, can knock together a mean roast. Her menu included: roast beef, honey-glazed parsnips, crispy roasties, Yorkshire puddings, sage and onion stuffing, garlic-buttered carrots, minted peas, sauteed cabbage, cauliflower cheese and runner beans, all bedecked in sprinkles of green garnish. It was the ultimate banquet of champions, and I was Hank fucking Marvin.

I caned roast potatoes until the miserable old mare slapped a piping hot Yorkshire pudding out of my covetous fingers. "Not yet," she admonished, shooing me away from the never-ending feast of ambrosial dishes. "Do not pinch one more vegetable. Go and help Alexa prepare the table."

"One, I am not interested in veggies, so save your threats. Two, organise cutlery? I am not a fucking skivvy who waits on tables for a bastard pittance." I hurled a stuffing ball in my mouth, the flavoursome herbs exploding on my tongue. "That's below my paygrade."

"Oh, get over yourself." Her ash-blonde straw-like hair reminded me of Sia Furler's iconic bowl cut wig. "You are never too spoiled to polish silverware."

"Polish silverware," I muttered in absolute disgust. "You won't catch me sprucing."

"He is impossible." Her Roger Vivier brooch buckle pumps used to belong in Alexa's walk-in wardrobe, yet this mare flaunted around the kitchen in those borrowed heels like she owned the place. "Such an ungrateful little toerag."

Licking a toothpick to the corner of my mouth, I gave her a cheeky wink. "There is nothing little about what I am packing, doll."

She waved a dismissive hand. "You are repulsive."

"I am honest," I said with cheerful banter. "Don't knock it until you try it."

"Will you behave?" Her face was rubicund. "You are far too young for a woman of my age."

True. I am not one to entertain cougars, but that's not to say I have never thrown one or two beneath me when desperate. "Tony, your bird is flirting with me."

Tony is dressed for tonight's occasion in his light grey flannel suit. "Brad, give the poor woman a break."

"Always my fault." Uncapping a bottle of Jameson, I poured a decent amount of amber liquid into a crystal glass. "She needs a clipped rear-end for those wandering eyeballs."

"Oh, will you piss off?" She overlooked the second stuffing ball going into my mouth. "Don't you have something more productive to do?"

I thought about her question and came unstuck. "Not really."

Tony uncorked a bottle of Louis Latour Mâcon-Lugny. "Do you want a glass of white wine?"

There is nothing worse than cheap wine on an almost empty stomach. "You could not pay me to drink that piss water."

He tossed the cork in the bin. "What's wrong with chardonnay?"

I am more of a whiskey fan. "I'm partial to the occasional chardonnay."