CHAPTER FIFTY-NINE

I never said goodbye to Jace, which is rude and thoughtless

I never said goodbye to Jace, which is rude and thoughtless. I turned up on his doorstep without invitation, so the least I could have done is told him I had to leave. It is all I thought about whilst trudging down the street, the soles of my feet afire as a consequence of impetuous running. I still had the man's phone. It vibrated with notifications from Tommy, not that I could see the messages on the lock screen.

A black Mercedes-Benz with a personalised number plate drove past. The driver braked by the street corner, waiting there on the sharp bend, and then the tail lights beamed as the person reversed.

I paused on the spot.

Only then did I notice the panoply of security vehicles in the foreground. I recognised the luxurious pinnacle of Bentley's craftsmanship, as the distinctive wheels resembled Big Guy's bespoke car.

Brad is not amongst the drivers, though. In fact, I don't know any of the besuited men or why they'd pulled over. At least, I had no understanding until Alexa Warren rolled down the Mercedes window and swept her curious gaze over me.

The staunched, armed myrmidons who donned all-black designer suits were here for her. Her safety was obligatory as the perks of being Liam Warren's wife or perhaps twenty-four-hour security is not a perk but a hindrance.

All I had were unspoken assumptions.

"Emma, right?" Her expression is free of emotion. "You took Jace's phone."

"I'm sorry." I held out the phone with other whispers of apologies, and she reached through the ajar window to take it from me. "I never meant to walk off with it." I'd planned to return it once I checked in with Benjamin. My brother must be stressed to the max. I never told him anything before leaving the hotel. "I was going to bring it back later."

Alexa placed the phone in the glove compartment. "I will drive you home."

"Oh, I am okay," I lied, knowing damn well I was anything but okay. "I could do with the exercise."

Diamond encrusted sunglasses covered her eyes. Lugano emblazoned the frame's temples. "I wasn't asking," she said, and her unexplainable coldness triggered uneasiness. "Come on." The passenger door popped open, and she tapped the burgundy leather seat. "Get in."

Arguing the matter was futile.

I lowered myself into the vehicle.

Jo Malone's car diffuser left the subtlest touch of peonies in the air. I buckled up, afraid to move or touch anything, as the interior looked too costly for one's eyes, never mind one's covetousness. "Thank you."

Alexa's hand stayed on the gearstick as she accelerated across the main road into the next street, the never-ending queue of Bentley vehicles following close behind. "Jace is worried," she said, the scintillating diamonds on her delicate fingers stealing my attention. "You were friends, huh?"