Chapter Fifty-Five.

Start from the beginning

“So, what’s the deal?” Charlotte began to speak, going into the fridge and getting out a drink. “You know...with you and Uncle Zacky?”

I tried to make the way my body then froze as subtle as possible, not wanting to give anything away. Continuing to drum my fingers, I shrugged. “What do you mean?”

“You’re usually quite close.” Linds then pitched in. “But tonight you’re both sulking and you won’t even look at each other. Have you guys had a fight or something?”

“No.” I replied a little too quickly. “I mean...I don’t know. Maybe he’s pissed at me or something.”

“Why would he be?”

I shifted, unsure of what to say. “...Ronnie?”

Although my tone had been questioning and I’d sounded completely confused, the two of them seemed to buy that. I’d guess I’d gone for the more realistic lie.

“Ah, now that makes sense.” Charlotte nodded. “What did Ronnie do?”

“Nothing.” I shrugged. “Zacky just doesn’t like me hanging around with him. None of the guys do.”

Linds chuckled. “Neither do we, Midgey. The guy’s a total prick. Take it from someone that had to live with him. He left the kids’ home when I was seven and all I remember from growing up was him picking on me.”

I didn’t want to get into this. If we started talking about Ronnie, all it would result in was me getting a lecture and possibly having an argument with my cousins, and I didn’t need anyone else on my case right now.

Lucky for me, however, the door then opened and Zacky stepped in, glancing between the three of us and slowly walking over the fridge.

“What are you girls gossiping about in here?” He questioned, opening the fridge door and grabbing a beer. “Boys?”

Charlotte chuckled. “You could say that.”

“Mm.” He nodded thoughtfully. “Well, Linds, your dad just got his guitar out. You might want to keep any eye on him. He’s pretty drunk already.”

Great.” Linds rolled her eyes. “Come on, you two.”

As Linds stepped towards the door, Charlotte followed, but I stayed in my seat. They both turned to look at me with raised eyebrows, and I simply shrugged.

“I uh...I’m just gonna get another jacket from my room.” I lied, clearing my throat. “It’s colder than I expected. I’ll be out in a minute.”

Charlotte nodded. “Okay. See you out there.”

Seconds later, the door was shut behind them, and Zacky and I were left in silence.

I shifted in my seat, unsure of what to say. It was like he couldn’t meet my gaze as he stared down, playing with the ring pull on the beer can. After a moment, the silence became unbearable, and I abruptly stood up.

“Where are you going?” He quietly asked me, only now looking at me.

“I really do need to get a jacket.” I answered. “I’m cold.”

Without another word, I walked out of the kitchen and began to make my way upstairs and into my room. It was as I rifling through my closet that Zacky casually walked in, perching himself on the edge of my bed.

“We need to talk about earlier.” He announced, going back to staring down at his beer can.

I stayed silent for a moment, still looking for my jacket. He waited as I pulled it out of my closet, wrapping it around my body and pulling up the zipper, before he eventually raised his eyebrows at me.

Midge.” He sighed, his tone urgent.

“What’s there to talk about?” I rolled my eyes, sitting down in front of my mirror and beginning to touch up on my makeup. “We can’t change what happened. We should just be thankful that we didn’t get caught and move on from it.”

He stared at me incredulously. “Move on? Midge, I’m fucking terrified.”

“Of what?”

“Getting caught!” He raised his voice, then glancing at the door and lowering it again. “If your dad had walked in on us earlier...especially like that...everything would be ruined!”

I shook my head. “He has to find out some time. They all do.”

He also shook his head. “But not yet. We’ve only been together two months, we agreed that we’d let ourselves get settled into it first before even thinking of telling everyone else.”

“I know.” I groaned, tipping my head back. “But can you just calm down?!”

“You want me to calm down?! You’re being too fucking calm!”

In my mind, I kept reminding myself to keep composed and not get angry, but it wasn’t easy when he was being like this. It was really starting to aggravate me.

“I don’t know what you want me to say.” I snapped, throwing my mascara brush down. “We didn’t get caught. Can’t you just be pleased about that?!”

“But if we do...” He shook his head. “I’d get kicked out of the band. Because of you.

I wasn’t sure if I visibly winced then, but it sure felt like I did. It was like his words sliced through me and I could almost feel it. Zacky’s gentle side seemed to have completely disappeared.

I stared down at my hands, trying to blink away tears. “We’ll be more careful in the future.”

It was then silent, like he didn’t have a reply to that. I waited a couple more moments for him to say something, but when he didn’t, I looked up. He’d diverted his gaze to the closet door behind me, a frown pulling on his face as he chewed at his lip. I tilted my head as I studied his expression, and soon after, his stare fell down to his hands.

“That’s all we need to do.” I whispered, edging a little closer and perching myself next to him. “Be more careful.”

Still receiving no reply, I cautiously reached out to stroke his hand. I could see how much this was troubling him and I wanted to comfort him, but as soon as my hand touched his, he ripped away and stood up.

“Except...” He finally spoke, still refusing to meet my gaze. “There is no future, Midge.”

I froze, my blood running cold as I stared at him. His gaze was now pinned on the wall, his hands shoved awkwardly into his pockets, and he continued to chew at his lip.

“What?” I squeaked out, my voice coming out barely above a whisper.

He began to pace the floor. “I don’t know what I was thinking. I’m thirty. You’re eighteen. You...you’re so young.”

“Don’t start that!” My voice cracked. “You said age was nothing.”

“And I was stupid to say that. I was stupid to say or do any of this.” He breathed in deeply. “I was stupid to say that I loved you.”

As a sob crept up my throat, I quickly looked away, wanting so desperately to wake up and find out this was just some sick nightmare. That didn’t happen, though. He simply shook his head, finally meeting my gaze and staring me right in the eyes.

“We need to break up.” He quietly said, his gaze forcing mine to meet it.

No!” The sob left my lips as tears began to roll down my cheeks. “No we don’t.”

But he’d already made his decision.

“Yes we do, Midge.” He stood up, walking over to the door. “Just forget any of this...us...happened. Just forget it.”

Zacky—‘’

“It’s over!”

And just like that, he was walking out of my bedroom, closing the door behind him and leaving me to break down into tears on my bed.