"What's going on with her?" Subaru asked.

"The awakening's probably started," Shuu answered.

Kanato met his gaze. "There is no precedent for a woman to awaken with the power of a vampire, right?"

"No, because no vessel has ever endured the process." As Shuu spoke, his eyes shifted to Guinevere. They then fell on her hands that were gripping the couch as if they were about tear it apart.

"But it's different this time," Ayato said, brushing her cold cheek. "She has that woman's heart inside her."

++++++++++++

Laito studied the gown with hooded eyes, allowed it to soak in. "It explains why you keep showing up at our house. This dress is a very dangerous object, you know?"

His smile held no compassion. "You must be very proud of yourself, uncle, to use her as your own means so successfully." The shadow the fedora casted made his expression even colder. "Were you planning to revolt against Karl Heinz once you had the power of the sacrificial bride?"

Richter eyed him with abhorrence.

Laito seemed pleased at his response. "What did you hope to achieve as the head of the family, I wonder?"

"Do you seriously believe I will give up the truth to a dreg like you?" Richter snarled. "Laito, the truth is not as simple as you think it is."

Laito's smirk widened.

++++++++++++

When Reiji stepped into the room, he immediately felt all eyes on him. Guinevere stood up.

"Reiji, what do you have?" said Kanato.

Reiji held up a small vial, the inside swishing with light pink liquid. "This remedy will kill that woman once and for all."

Guinevere observed him, taking in his scowl and displeased tone. "Is it incomplete?"

"I'm afraid so."

Kanato tilted his head. "It's unusual for you to bring out an unfinished product."

"What would make it complete?" said Guinevere.

"I believe I need a piece of that woman."

Subaru crossed his arms. "There's nothing left of her to use."

"Actually I have something," said Kanato, to everyone's surprise. He turned his stuffed toy sideways and grabbed its head.

"Kanato," Guinevere said, her voice extremely gentle, "what are you—"

With a deafening rip, Teddy's head was detached from his body. A fountain of cotton spewed out, some landing on the floor. Kanato reached in and pulled out a purple vial.

Guinevere raised a brow. "It's that woman's..."

Reiji accepted the vial and poured it in his. He lightly shook the solution and held it towards the light, watching it glow magenta before dissolving into a clear, soft blue.

He then smirked. Ayato returned him with one of his own and said, "Did it do the trick?"

++++++++++++

Blood was dark and thick as it pooled onto marble floor. It was difficult to determine whether it belonged to Richter or the gown. It was more likely to be both.

"Uncle, I'll be telling you this one last time," said Laito. "We will never allow you or that woman run our lives again."

Richter grinned despite the agony. "It seems that we have an inescapable destiny. If you didn't know that...I pity you."