Chapter 40

The chieftan had led them into the largest of the tents, seating them across the fire from him. The humans had been released from their bonds, and Freya's wrist had been smeared with salve and bandaged. The Sylph remained bound. 

Rhiannon maintained her rigid posture, despite the lack of support the piles of furs gave her. Her joints were stiff from sitting in the cold and she yearned to stretch, but she stayed still, keeping her cool, unwavering gaze on the chieftan. He returned his own steady gaze to each of them. The scar and firelight rendered his face cruel, and his dark hair, streaked with gray, was twisted severely back from his face. His wolves lay at his feet. 

Finally, he spoke. "Tell me of this 'end of days'." 

"It is prophesied," Vess said in her low, gravelly voice. 

"Prophesied by who?" he asked. 

"Our Seers, for centuries," she said. 

"And how can these Seers be trusted?" 

"It is my gift," Cerridwen cut in. Rhiannon was surprised timid Cerridwen had spoken up. "There is a Seer every generation. The day one dies, another is born. We see more than most." Cerridwen stared at the chieftan intensely for a moment. "I can tell you how you came to get that scar." 

"I would prefer you didn't," the chieftan said. He remained still and expressionless. "What is this prophecy? All of it." 

Cerridwen closed her eyes, and her voice became flat and melodious. "By the water, through the fire," Freya gasped. Rhiannon felt the hair on the back of her neck stand up, and she shivered. Jaida clasped her hand. It was damp and shaking slightly. 

"Red with blood and skin green, comes the Queens of Life and Death. Through the fire, by the water, beauty bright and bloody red, shriek's the wolf's mournful daughter, 'Oh my love is dead, is dead'. By the water, through the fire, The Mother stands astride the ford, and all the power of man's desire shall through Her come to save the world." Cerridwen's voice grew louder and louder, and Rhiannon swore she saw the fire burn brighter. Her ears popped painfully as the pressure in the air seemed to change. Freya was pale.

"Through the fire, by the water, all shall know and all shall dream of madness, love and desire ridden by the Faerie Witch. By the water, through the fire, valleys formed in passing tread, great the two, world in making, leaving ashes in their wake. Through the fire, by the water, the fiery queen doth lift the veil and walks astride the grain and sword, ere the steps should falter, fail. By the water, by the fire, strong the curse and weak the foe, a fear that tears the heart asunder, the broken one, a fear doth know."

The fire died down, and warmth returned to the room. Her fellow humans were pale and shaking, but the Sylph were unperturbed. The chieftan's face was drawn, but he was remarkably collected; Rhiannon was impressed. 

Cerridwen opened her eyes. "The prophecy is happening now. Life and Death have risen, and we must stop them. Life has already taken nations to the south; your people will be next. If you wish to survive, and maintain your freedoms, then you will vow to stand against Life and fight with us against her armies." 

The chieftan was silent for a long moment. "No." 

Julian scoffed. "You are signing your death warrant, you fool." 

The chieftan glared at him. "The mountains have protected Tole for centuries. Only we know how to survive there. We can retreat to the mountains, live there until the danger has passed." 

"And your fellow man?" Vess asked. 

"They don't matter," he said. 

"So it is as they say," Vess said. "Humans truly are selfish savages. It's a wonder you have not destroyed the world in the time you have ruled it." 

"Perhaps our savagery is why we are the only surviving race," the chieftan responded. Vess scowled. "Thank you for the warning. The Tolish will be safe." 

"And what of us?" Rhiannon asked. The chieftan looked at her directly for the first time. 

"You will be allowed to continue on your quest, as long as you never return to Tole, and take these horrors with you," he replied, gesturing at the Sylph. 

The chieftan snapped his fingers, and the people standing guard outside came into the tent. He said something to them in Tolish, and they were led out of the chieftan's tent to another, smaller tent. There was a small stash of food for them to eat, and pallets of furs for them to sleep on. Two guards stood outside the door, and wolves prowled the perimeter of the tent.

Julian spoke almost immediately after the tent flap had fallen closed. "Vess, why didn't you destroy him? You could have killed him in an instant, and we could have taken over the Toles easily." 

"The Tolish would have killed us you dolt," Malik said. "Or his wolves would have attacked before she could have touched him. Either way, our plan fails."

"Still," Rhiannon said. "What is the point of having one of the most powerful beings in existence traveling with us if she will not defend us?" 

"I refuse to use my power senselessly," Vess replied. They quieted. "I will defend you from my sister when the time is right. For now, you'll have to accept only my fighting skills, and in that, we were outnumbered today." 

With that, Vess arranged herself on one of the pallets, struggling to fit her larger frame on the bed meant for humans. She closed her eyes, and whether she was truly asleep or not, the humans decided to leave her be.