40 - More than anything

Empty.

That's how I felt inside.

Endless void overshadowed all my senses as my eyes were fixed on the flower patterned envelope in my hands.

Normally, I would have jolted, flinched, beamed or showed any reaction when Jimin appeared in front of me.

But this time, I didn't.

His tone was cautious as he whispered, "Lyn?"

My mouth was heavy, uttering a word was grueling.

He sat beside me all the while looking at me worriedly. "Baby?"

Heaving a sigh, I finally sounded, "Hm?"

He brought his hand up to tuck some hair strands behind my ear and caressed my cheek while holding my jaw.

"You cried a lot... Did you... know about it?"

After a brief pause, I nodded slowly. "She told me."

Sighing, he shifted his gaze to my hands. "What did you do today?"

I only scanned my room and kept quiet.

"For me... I... sent her to her next life..."

My hold on the envelope tightened, crinkling the paper around its edges as my face twisted in pain. The reality was sinking into my brain once again, snapping me from my daze.

She's gone now...

She's really gone...

I closed my eyes as my tears welled up.

Don't fucking cry again, Lyn. What did Rena tell you?

"You have to be strong, Lyn," Jimin added salt to my wound. "I know her death is agonizing to you but don't let your feelings hurt you. You must stay strong."

Clenching my teeth, I shot him a glare through teary eyes. "It's easy for you to say. What do you know about feelings, hm? What do you know about the pain of losing someone who was so dear to you?"

His eyes went round as he stared at me in shock. "I-"

I snatched my hands away from his hold and turned away. "Reapers like you take away souls, so why are you trying so hard to act so innocent right now? Leave me be Jimin... If I die, then I die... It's fine if I die... I can't let Rena go alone like this."

He jumped off from the bed before yelling, "Lyn, are you even listening to yourself?! What are you even saying?! How do you think those who are staying behind would feel if you just threw away your life like this?! How would your parents feel?! This feeling you're feeling, they will experience it ten times stronger!"

I swallowed hard, unable to say anything back.

He was right after all.

"Leave me alone," I mumbled while staring at the wall.

"I will," he whispered with hoarse voice, "but we're going somewhere before that."

With bloodshot eyes, I looked up at him in confusion. "Where?"

He squatted down before me and held my hands. "You'll be staying at a hotel with me for tonight, okay?"

"W-What," I stammered. "Why at a hotel?"

His eyes softened as they searched mine, echoing urgency and insistence. My breathing halted and I went rigid under his gaze.

"It's for your own sake... Your life is on the line right now."