26 - Rena

For the past few years he would disappear just as fast as he appeared before me like he promised. He quit school and told everyone that he was moving to a different city. It somehow reminded me of Taehyung doing almost the same thing.

I graduated just like a normal girl, enrolled into a reputable university to become a detective just like how I intended, and studied well to become a useful employee. There were times when I was beyond stressed and wanted to give up, but I pulled through because of Jimin's surprise visits.

He would appear before me once a week wherever I was and embrace me tighter than the last time, holding me there for a while, taking slow breaths. Those were the times when I would feel the shattered pieces of his heart being put back together and mended, just the same as mine.

One time, he came to me when I was with my parents. He wasn't aware of them, so when he suddenly kissed my cheek in front of them, my parents were speechless.

That day was the most awkward day of my life...

Jimin and I were interrogated the whole day and had a hard time coming up with convincing lies. The truth was less credible than the lies we made up anyway, so we didn't feel guilt. Only pain.

I lied that he was studying in an arts university and that he lived in a different city so he didn't have much time to spend with me.

When my father invited him for a fishing trip, he looked more blissful than I had ever seen before. His beam brightened his face up, his eyes sparkling in euphoria.

That overjoyed expression soon died out when the cruel reality came crashing down on him... The reality that he was the embodiment of death.

He couldn't put my parents' lives in danger so he turned down his offer with a heavy heart.

It was good that my parents understood his reasoning and didn't take his rejection to heart. I was happy that they liked him so much and accepted him as my boyfriend.

I still don't know if the tears that I cried that day was caused by joy or sadness...

I was happy that I could at least spend even a few minutes with him sometimes... It was better than not seeing him again.

But it still hurt.

I always wanted to beg him to stay longer, talk with me longer, and hold me just a tiny bit longer.

However, I would stay silent every time he bids me farewell and hope that he would come sooner than the last time.

When he did, my heart would become alive once again.

"I started going out with Taehyung again."

I choked on my tea before coughing uncontrollably. Jimin patted my back, wiping my mouth while I glared at Rena with shocked eyes.

"What?!"

"We met again not long ago and-"

"Woah, woah," I exclaimed, putting my hands up. "He suddenly appeared after all these years and wanted you back?! And you accepted him back just like that?! That dipshit doesn't deserve you! How d-"

"I love him, Lyn," she whimpered. "And I was the one who wanted him back..."

I rubbed my face frustratedly and heaved a sigh.

"He left you, right?" I turned to look at Jimin in confusion when he suddenly spoke up. "Why do you still chase after him? Don't you think it was better to leave him for good?"

Rena shook her head, forcing a smile. "I can't live without him... These past years, I tried so hard to erase him from my heart, and I kept telling myself that I was better off without him. But then, his stupid face would appear in my mind out of nowhere and... I would yearn for his warmth like an idiot every damn time."

She bit her lips, looking down. "Just a glimpse of him and I lost it. All the feelings and emotions that I wanted to bury away came down on me like a downpour... I wanted him to come back to me. I wanted him to love me again."

I couldn't even scold her.

What she said... I knew exactly how she felt.

Every time Jimin wasn't with me, I would force myself to dispose of my feelings for him to stop myself from suffering further... Only to find myself aching and longing for him more than before.

Love is such a complicated thing.

We can't choose who we fall in love with and who we want to fall out of love with.

Love is the most wonderful and also the most painful feeling. It's enough to shake your entire world and rob you of your reasoning, just like the saying, 'People do crazy things when they're in love'.

"Rena... I want to show you something," Jimin said and stood up with a grave expression. "We have to visit my hometown."

My eyes popped out.

"H-Hometown?"

You mean the underworld?

He looked at me with a soft smile that didn't quite reach his eyes. "I'll explain it to you later."

Rena suddenly coughed violently and covered her mouth with a tissue. She has been coughing a lot lately. Her flu must be a very nasty one.

"Are you okay?"

She nodded before straining, "I'm fine."

"I'll come to your dorm room after I chat with her for a while," Jimin assured me and placed a kiss on my forehead. "Be careful on your way, Lyn."

I hesitantly nodded and they walked out of the cafe, leaving me a little worried.

What was he going to talk about...?

————————————————————
A/N: If y'all read 'Eternally yours', then you know this scene, right? Mochi points for you 🍡

Thank you for reading this chapter and please don't forget to vote if you liked it 🌹