Chapter 27 - A Sudden Loss

It was already sundown when Shina was heading towards home with Kakashi being called on by the Hokage for a mission. She hadn't seen Itachi or Shisui earlier in the day. Probably ANBU stuff, Shina tried to convince herself but the nagging feeling behind her head something was wrong. Naruto was already going home with a Nara kid. Shina smiled, thinking that someone was able to acknowledge Naruto as a boy.

  Instead of going straight home, she went to the Uchiha compound, immediately searching for Itachi and Shisui. The Uchiha guards payed her no mind to her constant visits to the Uchiha Clan. The Uchiha's were bustling with their fellow clansmen, bringing food or either giving some scrolls with the male Uchiha's. She immediately went straight into Itachi's house, if possibly they were there. She knocked on the sliding doors and was responded with a muffled 'I'll get it!' from the inside as it was opened by Itachi's only little brother, Sasuke. 

 "Shina-nee-chan!" He greeted with a hug on her waist and darted back in to tell his mother that Shina was at their doorstep. Mikoto poked her head from the kitchen, holding a ladle. Mikoto's face lit up when she saw Shina's youthful face.

  "Oh my, Shina-chan!" Mikoto exclaimed.

"Are you looking for Itachi? He isn't back yet." Mikoto said, going back inside the kitchen.

  Shina had her eyebrows furrowed with a frown stuck on her face. 'He's not here..' she was worried, something in the back of her mind was saying that something must've happened.

  Sasuke pouted just by looking at her with her somewhat sad face.

  "It's unfair that you only pay attention to nii-chan." Sasuke pouted, cheeks puffing out. Shina snapped out of her trance when she saw Sasuke being adorable. She forced a smile. She knelt down to Sasuke's height and started to pinch his cheeks, causing a string of complaints exit the Uchiha child's mouth.

"I'm sorry I haven't been paying you attention lately." Shina said, cupping Sasuke's cheeks.

  Sasuke turned his head away, "You're acting like nii-chan, being away because of shinobi duties." Sasuke said, crossing his arms in an Uchiha style.

  Shina looked at him, clearly at fault. "What can I do to repay you, Uchiha-sama?" Shina asked the 'royally pissed' Uchiha child. Sasuke turned his head to look at her, whose face was imitating Fugaku's, it nearly killed Shina on the inside, trying to hold in her laughter. Shina took out a camera out of nowhere and snapped a picture of him, his mimicry of his father was enough for her to smile.

  Sasuke's face lit up, "You finally smiled!" He exclaimed as he cupped Shina's cheeks with his soft, tiny hands. She felt her face heat up at the soft skin Sasuke had placed on her cheeks. 'Uchiha's..' Shina thought, running through Sasuke's hair. Sasuke curled up to her side and hugged her tight. His soft, baby cheeks smushed against her Jonin flak jacket. She returned the hug with open arms, her bright, white and red hair tickling Sasuke's nose.

  "Hey, nee-chan, why is half of your hair white?" He asked, but then he snickered, "Nee-chan's getting old?" A vein popped in her forehead as her hair was untied and divided into nine locks. She began to crack her knuckles. "You were saying Sasuke..?"

 She held an evil smile, "Prepare for punishment."

 Echoes of desperate cries and laughter echoed in the Head Uchiha house.

~《》~

"Shina, Sasuke! It's dinner!" Mikoto called but received no response. Washing her hands and putting the remaining chopsticks on the table. She checked the room where Sasuke and Shina were only to find them asleep. Shina's white and red hair was sprawled out of the tatami mat and used her arm as a substitute for Sasuke's pillow, hugging him tight with an arm wrapped around his torso. Just on cue, Itachi came with slightly disheveled hair and saw his mother which he greeted with a nod.

"You came late." Mikoto said to her eldest son. Mikoto's eyes landed on the sleeping duo. Itachi's eyes followed Mikoto's and found them asleep.

"Sasuke looks very cuddled up with Shina." Mikoto smiled at the children on the floor, putting Shina's bangs away from her face and putting it behind her right ear. Itachi wouldn't say he was a teeny bit jealous that Shina was bonding with his little brother, but, he couldn't bring himself to be mad at the redhead. 

 Mikoto noticed that Shina was finally flutter her eyes open, when she did, salty tears escaped her eyelids. Mikoto, already worried, she wiped her tears away.

  "Oh my, Shina, are you okay?" The mother asked, worry laced in her voice. Shina's grey eyes moved towards Itachi's direction. Itachi noticed her immediately and Shina drifted her eyes back to Mikoto's onyx orbs.

  "I'm fine Mikoto-san. It was just a dream." Shina reassured her, placing a hand on the worrying mother's shoulder. Shina looked at Itachi. She just gave him a smile, who seemed unsure by what she meant by a dream, he returned her smile with a smile that gave out what he was thinking. His smile was small, surely Shina wouldn't noticed that. 

 After the Uchiha's and Shina had their dinner, Shina immediately darted home as tears left her eyes.

  It wasn't a dream. She was taken there. She saw him. His messy hair was the one who managed to catch Shina's attention. He treated her and Itachi like siblings. They depended on him, like a big brother. Her chest felt heavy as her eyes sting, blurred her vision as salty tears made its way to her cheeks. His smile was something she couldn't forget. 

 She wiped her tears with her forearms. She could get him back, but it wouldn't last long. She cried herself to sleep. Why?

Shisui is gone.

/(;-;)\ (Why did Shisui have to die?)

I'm sorry for the short chapter. 0-0