Chapter 18

Chapter 18

April 7th

Nicole woke up early in the morning. She was ready to go on an early morning ride with Riley, but she knew that he wasn't. she walked into his room and poked him in the shoulder to wake him up.

Riley rolled over and opened his eyes. He then looked at Nicole and then the time. Then he remembered that he had promised Nicole that he would go on a morning ride with her.

Nicole was all dressed and ready to go.

Riley smiled at Nicole and then told her to leave his room so he could get changed. Nicole smiled back at him and left so he could get changed. She waited in the lounge room for him to come down.

It wasn't long before Riley was dressed and he came down the stairs. Nicole could see his lighter and a cigarette in his hand so clearly he was planning on having one. Nicole followed him outside because she had a suggestion to propose, anyway. So, Riley took a seat in his car and Nicole did the same on the front passenger side.

"Would you like me to teach you how to groom and saddle Ruby?" asked Nicole.

Riley lit up his cigarette and blew a puff of smoke out, "the teacher being taught sounds a little weird, babe," he joked.

Nicole laughed, "I know, but seriously. Would you like me to teach you?"

"I'm happy to give it a go, but I don't know how good I'll be at learning."

"I don't mind."

"Okay, then. That sounds like a plan."

"Now, I have had my breakfast," said Nicole.

Riley laughed, "that eager to get up and going, are we?"

Nicole laughed as well, "yes, I am. Are you going to have breakfast?"

"Nah, I don't think so. This'll do me until we get back."

He was referring to the smoke.

Nicole didn't like that, "since when is a cigarette breakfast?"

Riley shrugged his shoulders, "sometimes it's all I have. And coffee."

"You skip breakfast?"

"Sometimes."

"That's not good."

"I know."

"Is it because you are too excited for a cigarette?"

"It's not excitement, babe. It's a craving."

"Can you give it up?"

"Once I am motivated again."

"When will that be?"

"I'm not sure."

Riley then finished his cigarette and he and Nicole headed around to the paddock to sort out the horses. Nicole grabbed everything she needed and started teaching Riley everything about grooming and saddling. He didn't make the best student ever, but he did pick it up well and he saddled Ruby well. And it wasn't long before it was time to go.

"Excited?" asked Nicole after she mounted Lightning.

"Horse riding in the morning," replied Riley, "what could be better?"

"But it's still not your cup of tea."

Riley shook his head.

"Don't worry," said Nicole, "you'll love it."