"Hello gorgeous," Sebastian purred, and I quivered slightly; my cheeks and neck and ears warmed up without me wanting them to. "Sorry I'm late."

"It's fine," I said, leaning back as his arms came around me. "I'm having fun."

"They seem to be as well," he chuckled, kissing the mark on my neck and pressing his nose against it. He audibly inhaled, breathing deeply, then let out a wicked little laugh. "God, you smell good. My scent is all over you... any wolf who meets you will know I made you mine."

"Good," I said absently, and he paused. "I want that."

He seemed a little subdued for a moment, then settled down beside me and stuck his burly legs into the water. His darker skin clashed violently beside mine, and I looked at his big feet beneath the rippling pool surface. Every part of him was like an opposite to me.

Where I was small, he was big... where I was feminine, he was masculine... where I was pale and soft and fragile, he was dark and hard and practically invulnerable. 

I was a vampire, he was a werewolf, and yet, he'd chosen to love me despite how different we were and how stupid, and slow, and basically unworthy of him I really was. Others of my kind were terrible. I'd seen glimpses of it myself, and that alone was enough to tell me what they were like, not even counting that I knew people who had suffered through horrors I couldn't even begin to imagine at the hands of my race.

Because it was my race.

I still felt and thought and acted like a human, even thinking of myself as one, but the fact was I had stopped being human long ago. My old life was over.

A heavy hand touched my chin and three gentle fingers nudged me, trying to turn my face. I let it happen, swiveling my head on my neck to look him in the eyes.

"Are you okay?" he asked, searching my face. "Your eyes... and your smell. What's wrong?"

I blinked, looking at him blankly, unsure of how to respond. I was happier than I'd been in years, but right then... I just felt sad and incompetent and overall, completely confused. Maybe it was because of the clothes I was wearing... maybe it was because of the odd "gift" I'd been given.

I had no idea.

I just, in that moment, felt lost and depressed.

"I don't know," I told him, looking down to avoid meeting his eyes. "I'm just sad. I don't know why."

His face fell and his brow furrowed, knotting itself; I realized that he was shirtless and wearing black swimming trunks for the first time, but before I could get a good look at him he wrapped a big arm around me and tugged me against his side. He scooted closer and held me with both hands, caressing the back of my head and making sure my face was positioned near his armpit.

"I'm here," he muttered, deep voice vibrating my body. 

Those words were all it took. I relaxed against him, engulfed in his heat and his smell and his love, all sides of him.

My roiling mood faded somewhat since small comforts like this were things that I'd missed out on for a long time. Just knowing that I had someone who would want to hold me when I felt upset, even if it was for no specific reason or situation, made me feel a hell of a lot better. I nuzzled him, then tucked my head in his underarm and just let myself exist with him, basking in his smell.

Proof that he was real. Proof that this wolf was mine and that I was one of them... oh.

Oh.

That was it, wasn't it?