My heart melted.

"Ohhh, this Woody?" Feng asked, nodding appreciatively. "He handsome! Good job!" 

"Yeah," Tiffany sighed, then looked at me and smirked; she glanced down at her phone and then, suddenly, there was a photograph of me sleeping on Sebastian's stomach, curled up into a little ball.

I instantly gasped, eyes bugging out of my head. 

"When did you take that?" I exclaimed. "I don't even remember that night!"

"You don't?" she asked, startled. "Aerin, it was the night I poked you and you hit your head. I took a few photos before tickling you awake, which... yeah, sorry again for that."

"No problem," I absently murmured, looking at the picture more closely. Sebastian was lying on his back with his head pillowed on the couch armrest, eyes closed and mouth wide open in an obvious snore. In the photo, he looked massive.

Conversely, I was lying curled up on his stomach in such an odd position that my head had been propped up by his armpit. The angle, disturbing as it was to admit it, made me look almost kitten-like in comparison.

It had more to do with how small I looked than my overall appearance, but still, it was weird and I didn't know how to feel. Feng-Feng stared at the photograph just as blankly, looking for a moment as if she didn't know what to say.

"Girl," she said, then pointed at the picture. "That your man?"

"Yes," I admitted. "That's Sebastian."

She seemed flummoxed.

"Oh," she eventually said. "He... big."

I don't know why but her tone made me laugh.

"A beautiful giant," I agreed, chuckling; I looked down at the ring and my laughter faded since I still found it hard to believe that someone had tried to snatch a ring right off my finger.

How out of touch with the world was I for something like that to be... normal? 

I mean, nobody had really reacted much to the whole incident. If it had been the early pre-war 2000's it would have made the news, but the security guards had seemed bored. The cops had been called, of course, and they'd asked me if I wanted to press charges but I'd smartly said no. We'd been questioned and I had even given a statement under my ID name, Aerin D'Agostino. After that, we'd gone to get our new boarding passes.

I sighed, looking at the floor, gently worrying my lower lip with my fangs.

Was the economy doing that bad?

My phone suddenly went off, blaring my ringtone, and I jumped before pulling it out of my pocket. I tapped the screen to start it and raised my eyebrows since it was from Kyle. 

"Who is it?" Tiffany asked.

"Kyle," I said, and tapped the accept option; a holographic square flashed out of my phone and hovered in the air before me, and I winced when I saw myself being refracted back in the bottom right hand corner thanks to the bizarre holo-cam tech crap.

I didn't understand the science but the holographic squares themselves were capable of making recordings. Something to do with nano technology, I had no idea. 

Kyle's face suddenly popped up on screen and he beamed, looking goofy and ridiculous with his oversized sunglasses. He opened his mouth as if he were going to say something, but then he froze.

His already-pale face went bone white as the smile vanished. 

"Holy crap!" he exclaimed, pushing his sunglasses down to peer at me in concern. "Aerin, what the heck happened to your face?!"