Chapter Eight

Ian pulled on the tree branch so the rock could reveal the passageway to the trial grounds. As everyone walked down the stairs once again, Krystal quickly asked everyone a small question. “Hey, guys? Did you notice-”, but before she was able to finish, they made it to the trial grounds. Everyone stood at their spots as Monokuma quickly jumped on his throne. He ran by the trial rules again so everyone could remember how it works. Jeffrey thought to himself one last time. “This is it. I- No WE will find out Nick’s culprit. We won’t lose this trial.” At last the second class trial has begun. The first person who spoke up was Charlie. “So we all know when Nick died right?”, he asked as Zoey answered back, “Yes, we do. The Monokuma file said he died at 10:25 AM in the snack bar closet.” Everyone else in the room nodded in agreement. “So what we know is that Nick died… By being hanged before the culprit slashed at his body!” Andrew yelled out.

“No that’s wrong!”, Jeffrey yelled out as Andrew was shocked by the surprise. Zoey and Karla nodded in agreement before Jeffrey said, “Nick didn’t die when he was hanged. My theory is that he had his head smashed in. There is no clear evidence for it, but Zoey and Karla noticed a small indent on his skull.” Everyone looked at Zoey and Karla as they confirmed it. “Nick was already dead, but the question is… Why did the culprit hanged him and slashed his body?”, asked Zoey. That was the first thing they have to figure out before they can continue on. “Well. Krystal and I found a knife in the fishing shack.”, Mackayla said before showing it to the group. The blade was still covered in some blood when she showed them. “This could be what the culprit used to slash at Nick’s body.”, Krystal said quietly. “There was also blood in the changing room!”, Charlie yelled proud of his answer. Danielle backed him up saying, “There was a light smudge of blood near one of the lockers. That could mean that Nick and the culprit had a bit of struggle before the culprit killed him.” Zoey quickly raised her voice before saying, “That’s incorrect! The culprit must have killed Nick before slashing his body. The slashes on Nick’s body were there when we found him. We even proved that Nick was killed on the dot. There’s no way there could have been a struggle.”

Jeffrey thought about it before answering. “I think that Danielle is right. If there was blood in the changing room… That must mean that Nick tried to fight back.” Danielle smiled as she nodded her head in agreement. “There was a book inside one of the lockers too.”, Danielle showed them the book and a key to what is most likely the snack bar key. “The snack bar key bookmarked page 102. There is also a five drawn next to page 102. Which means the culprit was going to kill Nick at 10:25 AM. We found Nick’s body at 10:45 AM which gave the culprit 20 minutes to drag his body to the closet.” Kenny quickly asked Danielle, “But is that really the key to the snack bar closet? I mean, Krystal proved that someone was able to crack open the door slightly. That key could be to something else.” Danielle stood quiet for a few minutes before thinking of an answer. But Charlie quickly yelled out, “WRONG! The culprit could have purposely done that to the door to make us think that the key wasn’t used.” Jeffrey disagreed with Charlie before explaining why. “Kenny might be right guys. I mean both the snack bar and shack near the lake were locks. Isn’t it weird about how the shack was unlocked?”, Jeffrey asked before Charlie stood in silence.

Both Charlie and Danielle seems to be at the top of the suspicion list. “You guys think I killed Nick?!”, Charlie asked them raising his voice. Zay quickly answered, “No way! You wouldn’t hurt anyone!” Ian and Andrew agreed with Zay and Charlie. Krystal quickly went against Kenny’s argument. “That has to be the key for that door. There is no other way to open the door up. Not even a pry bar could open it. The culprit must have either forgotten to fully close and lock the door…”, she paused for a few seconds. Kenny asked her, “Or?” She looked at him and answered, “Or was going to move Nick’s body to the males changing room. It doesn’t explain how they could have struggled in the changing room… But they could have in the closet itself.” Jeffrey agreed with Krystal completely. “That must explain how Nick was already in the closet. If the culprit dragged Nick to the closet, they would have passed by us.” Danielle’s idea completely backfired on her. Zoey smiled happily knowing that she was right. “But what does the blood in the changing room mean in this investigation?”, Ian asked Jeffrey. Andrew quickly answered before Jeffrey, “Maybe it was the weapon used to bash Nick’s head in! The culprit could have hidden it somewhere in the changing room.” Both Jeffrey and Danielle agreed with that statement. “The thing is… What could have the weapon be? There are no rocks around here.”, Danielle asked, but Krystal already knew the answer to that. “The oxygen tank could have been enough to knock out or kill Nick. There was a total of eight oxygen tanks in each changing room. Danielle how many were there in the males changing room.” Danielle thought for a few before answering, “There were around four oxygen tanks. Wait!”, Krystal nodded in agreement.

“There would have been five in the changing room since Ian, Andrew, Brian took the oxygen tanks to look for anything fishy in the lake. If there was four left... That means that the culprit used it to kill Nick and tried to hide it back in the changing room, but accidentally made a mess.” Jeffrey looked up and started towards Ian. “Ian was there anything in the lake?”, he asked as Ian disagreed. “Wait. I did see something shiny in the lake. It looked like… An oxygen tank, but I wasn’t so sure.”, Aliza said as Jeffrey agreed with her. “That must be the oxygen tank the culprit used to kill Nick. Jeffrey was glad to get that outta the way. Now it’s time to figure out what this note meant. “Guys!”, Jeffrey yelled out before continuing, “I found this note in my room. It warned me that someone was going to die in this pool party… And I think we might be able to figure out who wrote it by looking at their handwriting.” Zoey being the Ultimate Writer decided to look at the note. “Whoever has written this note has very sloppy handwriting.”, Zoey answered with a sigh. Mackayla looked at three people. “It could have been Brian, Kenny or Nick.”, said Mackayla as Brian went to a shock, but Kenny shrugged his shoulders. “It can’t be Nick. Whoever wrote this note to me… Must have been able to get into my cabin, and then leave. The two people who're cabins are near mine… Are Kenny and Zay.”, Jeffrey glared at them both. Zay gulped slightly as Kenny stood there shrugging his shoulders again. “Hold on! I don’t have that much of sloppy handwriting.”, Zay yelled as Jeffrey nodded his head in agreement before pointing at Kenny. “How would I get in your cabin? Open up your window?”, asked Kenny as Jeffrey also agreed with the statement. “My room was a bit cold when I walked in, but I didn’t think too much of it. My door was also locked, and the only way to enter is by climbing through the window.” Monokuma giggled slightly before saying, “This trial is entering its climax! I can’t wait to see what happens next. AAHAHAHAHA!”