Chapter 11 Our Harmful Past

Warning, this chapter contains emotional manipulation, obsession, self-harm.

————

July 2005

A woman with bloody-red hair was sitting on a bench in front of the hospital, smoking, tears running down her cheeks.

"Lucy?" a female voice called her. Lucy looked behind her, seeing a black-haired woman with one eye red and the other black.

"Hey, Wendy..."

Wendy sighed and sat beside Lucy. "I'm sorry..."

"It wasn't your fault; he lost too much blood, right...?"

"He did." Wendy nodded.

"How...how did it happen?" Lucy asked.

"They brought a shot man here. When I found out it's Komatsu I had to do something, but we couldn't save him. It was too late; he bled out. I've watched him dying in front of my eyes."

"So, if Kyra called for help and didn't run home he'd still be alive..."

"It's very likely," Wendy murmured, "she must have emotional trauma from that. She saw him get shot. Kyra needs professional help."

"No." Lucy shook her head. "I know my children. Kyra can't be without her family; a mental hospital would make things probably even worse for her. I'll do my best to take care of her, I may even stop working for a while if it'll be needed. I'll give Justin's crystal to another guardian to protect it and I'll be only Kyra's guardian." She burst into tears, throwing the cigarette on the ground, stepping on it. "How could that fucker do that to me...? How could he leave me?"

"He didn't plan to die," Wendy reminded her.

"I know..." Lucy buried her face in her hands. "That makes it worse... I can't even blame him for that... I wanna punch that guy who shot him so bad. But who knows if the police will ever find them; only Kyra saw the culprit. Any reminder of that could start...that..." She didn't know how to call Kyra's state of craziness caused by witnessing her father's deadly injury.

She still heard Kyra's voice crying: "I wanna see him again. I wanna die! Please! Kill me!"

"She'll have to face it again one way or another," Wendy told her.

"I know..."

"I'm here for you anytime you need it, Lucy." Wendy hugged her.

Lucy looked at her in surprise, but smiled and hugged back.

"I know. Thanks."

————

June 2010

A red-haired teacher in her 40's was sitting at her desk in her office, tapping her fingers and having a pen in her mouth as if it was a cigarette. She was looking out at a photograph of her family on the desk, thinking about what she should do with her older son and him bullying others.

The door opened and a woman in a pink childish dress walked in with a stack of papers in her arms.

Lucy looked at her, coughing. "Hi, Michelle."

"Hi, Lucy!" Michelle smiled at her brightly. "You know that isn't a cigarette in your mouth."

"Yeah. I just need to smoke and if the headmaster catches me smoking on the school grounds again, I'm fired."

"Then don't smoke," Michelle told her.

She walked over to her desk when one of the papers fell to the floor and she slipped on it. She fell down, dropping the papers.