Chapter 2 An Old Friend

It was another break between the lessons. The whole classroom formed into several groups and talked.

Sue and Amy wanted to do the same, but Zoe wasn't listening.

"Maybe we should leave her alone," Amy suggested. "Nonsense," Sue replied and poked Zoe's cheek.

"Hey, Earth to Zoe. You hear me?"

"Huh?" Her best friend looked at her. "What...?"

"Don't scare me like that, girl," Sue told her, "you don't usually ignore us... Did something happen?"

"No. I'm just thinking about those fossils. How could anyone rob in our D-lab?"

"Oh hell, girl, don't be bothered. It's just a bunch of old bones," Sue said.

Then Amy took her arm, pulling her closer. "I don't think she's bothered by the bones," she whispered to Sue, "Zoe's probably worried about Reese."

"Why?"

"If somebody got inside the D-lab to steal, they can do it again and try to hurt someone in their way." Her hand was shaking when she said that. Sue took Amy's hand to assure her. "Don't forget we're talking about Reese Drake; she's capable of self-defense, taking down a bad guy would be no problem for her. She's hell badass."

At that moment, Zoe's phone started ringing. When she answered it, her sister's voice greeted her.

"Zoe, please, stay away from the D-lab!"

"What? Reese?"

"Get to safety."

"Reese, what's going on?" Zoe asked.

Sue listened carefully.

"You're in danger. Just don't go to the D-lab-" Her voice became silence.

"Reese?" Zoe's eyes widened in worries. She heard muffled moans, tries to call for help.

"Reese?! A-are you okay...? Reese! Reese!" she desperately called for her sister but got no answer. "Sis...?"

She was shaking, scared. There was somebody's breath on the other side of the phone. "Listen, whoever you are; if you dare to hurt my sister, I'll make you pay!"

Then nothing but beeping sounded from the phone.

Zoe stood there for a while, her body trembling, her breath going faster.

"What the hell happened?"

"Zoe, are you okay?" her friends asked her.

She was silent.

Suddenly, she quickly headed out of the classroom.

Sue grabbed her hand to stop her.

"Let me go!"

"Girl, calm down!"

"I must go. I must go to the D-lab... Now!"

"You crazy? Reese told you not to go there," Sue reminded her.

Zoe looked confusedly at her.

"Yeah, I heard that."

"I must go..."

"What happened?" Amy asked again.

"I don't know...but Reese needs me!"

"No! It's dangerous for you. Zoe, promise me, you won't go there!" Sue snapped.

"No... I..."

"Promise!"

"Sue..." Zoe felt dizzy; she couldn't breathe.