I stood up with a mysterious smile. I'd often asked myself this question in the past. I came to a conclusion.

"Because, Orthello, living a life means experiencing thrills, sorrow, joy, rage and the full range of emotions the world and people around you can offer. If one does not experience this and chooses to simply go through the machinations of life, then it is not living but rather, waiting for death."

"I'd much rather die living an exciting life than holding a requiem for dead husband and living my remaining years wasting away in a rocking chair."

Hearing my words, Orthello realised that convincing me was a futile and fruitless effort. He flashed me a grin,"Then I wish you the most exciting of journeys, Lady Blythe. I only hope you do not me when you stand with the giants if this world."

"I may be cruel. I may be ruthless. I may be crass. But I am also rather sentimental. Rest assured, I never forget."

With a bow, Orthello retreated back to his caravan, leaving me free to leave.

Taking out a trinket, a little map of the world drawn by Joseph Columbus, a famous cartographer, fitted into a compass with a spell to project the map with mana.

"Ypogeiois Tundra," I whispered to myself as I stared at the map,"Only 40,000 kilometres to go."

Pulling up my hood, I blended into the crowd, becoming one of the many mortals and magisters leaving the city.

Half an hour later, having paid the fee of exit, I stepped out of the gates of Juniper City and into the rural areas of the city. Farmlands dotting the horizon, I took out the map once more.

"Southwest it is." The blue and red moons on my wrist shone dully as I shot into the forest at blinding speed, leaving for my destination, not glancing back once.

———

I saw her stepping out of the Golden Heavens Trading Company's office, pulling on the hood.

With every step she took towards the gates, my heart ached. I'd almost called for an immediate shut down of the gates. Just so she'd stay a little longer. Even if I couldn't talk to her, I simply wished to stare at her for even a moment more. For me, she was a nepenthe. A desideratum I would never have for myself.

She had told me where she wanted to go. The Ypogeios Tundra. She knew I wouldn't give chase.

No, I couldn't give chase.

For the sake of Juniper city. For the sake of the Barshiek clan I would soon take over. For the sake of the mortals that depended on us. For the sake everyone.

I couldn't give chase.

I clasped my hands together in silent prayer, like a maiden who prayed for smooth passage for her hero.

Please. Keep her safe.

I let out a shaky breath as she stared at the map in her hands. This was like a taunt. So close, within arm's reach, yet so far away.

But that was okay.

I touched the metallic moon that hung from my ear, a single teardrop dripping down my cheek as I saw her leave.

I grabbed the wall of the city tightly, scared that I would run after her like a madman if I let go.

After I'd blinked, she was gone. Only a trail of dust in her shadow.

"Ah! Lord!" The clatter of armour sounded the arrival of my right hand man,"The Clan Leader is calling you to meet him. Lord? Is...Everything fine?"

I sucked in a deep breath, hiding my face away from Charles. It wasn't sight I'd wanted him or anyone for that fact, to see.

I collected my emotions quickly, swiftly wiping away that tear's streak and setting my face into an appropriate, neutral expression.

"Yes. It's all in order. I was simply paranoid that some enemies would stage another surprise attack. Come, you said father wished to see me? We must make haste then."

For the greater good, it didn't how I felt.

I merely wished happiness upon her.

After all, that was how I had been taught growing up.

To wish only the best to befall another, to never be selfish, to never be jealous.

The needs of the many outweighed the needs of the few.