Chapter Sixty-Seven | Third World

Börja om från början

"Fuck off."

"D'aw, I thought that might work. Alright then! On with the demonstration, watch my hands and movements."

Even though the man was likely an expert, Hansel still backtracked a few steps. He watched as Jakob gripped the hilt and brought his arm back slightly. When he shot it forward, it made a sound of piercing through the air, and within seconds, it hit the target. Which in this case was the Rotter's head. And Hansel would have been amazed if it wasn't for that fact too.

But to see how precise it was, he hesitated. Whenever someone made something look so easy- it tended not to be the case. And then his delusional teacher turned to him, "Your turn."

"There isn't a chance that I'll hit a Rotter."

"You might be surprised."

It was clear there was no chance of Hansel getting out of it, so whilst grumbling he stepped forward and ran his thumb over the hilt of the throwing knife. It had some weight to it, which is probably another reason Jakob could apply so much force behind it. But as a complete novice, the object was completely foreign to Hansel.

He took a stance like how the maniac had, using his dominant hand to grip the right parts. When he brought his arm back, Jakob interrupted by moving it slightly. "You would have thrown the knife into your ear if you did it like that. Keep a clear distance." He barely instructed, doing absolutely nothing to help the nerves in Hansel's stomach.

Eventually he just had to throw, and he did. The knife left his fingertips and soared.. straight downwards. They both leant forwards and winced when the sharp edge lodged into the roof of one of the vans. And Jakob roared with laughter.

He held his stomach as he found it hilarious. "You did better than I expected, you at least got it off the balcony."

"You knew I'd do shit."

Jakob looked at him, grinning broadly, "Of course. It's taken years for me to get this good. For you, the first challenge will to be trying to shoot it straight instead of it spiralling to the ground."

"Asshole"

"I am indeed. But now ya' have the general framework, you can only get better." Jakob teased whilst Hansel scowled at the man.

"Perhaps if I had a better teacher."

"You wound me, but because I have such a huge heart, I'll let that slide. So as well as knife-throwing, you should learn some basic combat too. You're too twiggy."

"Twiggy?" Hansel guffawed, looking at himself. Though he was on the leaner side, he was definitely not as thin as he has been in his past lives.

"Dun' think the Rotters would have a very appetising meal, all bone."

"Then I'll happily offer you up as their main course, dickhead."

Jakob just laughed, he turned and threw an arm around Hansel cheerfully. He guided them off the balcony and back indoors. "I need ta' go and get my knife back, meanwhile you can explain to Bjorn why he's gotta knife in his roof."

Hansel squinted, "He goes out of his way to flatten Rotters with it, why would he be worried about a little dent?"

So in the end, it turned out to be more than a 'dent'. Jakob had grossly understated how sharp he'd made his knives, and as Hansel tried to remove it, it remained firmly wedged into the metal. As he was trying to take it out, everyone came out ready to leave. Bjorn spotted him immediately, and the closer he got, the more he showed off his ridiculous height.

So what could he say? "Jakob did it."

Whether or not Bjorn believed him, was another case entirely, but the menacing man yanked the blade out of the roof and tossed it towards Hansel. "Get in," he grumbled as the rest of the team walked out.

When Jakob jumped in as well, it was the first time the man was presented with a smile from Hansel, and he quickly suspected something was amiss. But before he could say anything, he was ushered inside and they were on the move. Whilst Valentin was muttering with Bjorn about various timings and routes, Hansel handed over the knife.

The other man paused, mulling something over, before shaking his head. His loosening blond hair moving when he did, "Keep it, then ya at least have something to protect yourself with."

For a moment, Jakob looked like a genuine person, and perhaps a tad thoughtful. "When you're not bein' protected like a princess that is."

Asshole.

Valentin put an end to the breaks for the time being, he was grouchy with the lack of progress they'd made even though they'd been travelling for nearly three days straight. When it came to changing drivers, Jakob jumped at the opportunity and took over for Bjorn. It left Hansel feeling quite uncomfortable being in the back with the two moodiest individuals within the team.

It was at the end of another gruelling fourteen hour drive when Jakob spoke up, startling Hansel awake from his barely-sleeping state. The side of his face ached from leaning against the door. "There's a military vehicle ahead."

Although that wasn't necessarily big news for the rest of the team, it was for Hansel who sat upright and looked in the direction that Jakob was pointing to. Just as it was in the original's memories, the particular vehicle was lying on its side. There was some fuel spillage around it, but not enough that it was drained. That was the exact same logic that Valentin went on-

"That sort of artillery vehicle needs a lot of juice, and it may have ammo. Pull up." He instructed and Bjorn relayed the same order to the two vehicles following.

Hansel, from where he sat silently, twisted around and looked in different directions. His attention drawn towards the surrounding buildings. It was another small town, but this was one of the bigger ones compared to its surroundings, which meant that there were more shops and crucially- a petrol station.

No doubt it had already been well and truly drained, but it was still worth an inspection. But whilst the others were quick to jump out, Hansel knew better. Valentin had eagerly joined his team members, making his way over, but before they could even get close enough, the familiar sound of a silencer-bullet hitting the body of the overturned vehicle, had them quickly ducking for cover.

From one of the windows, was a militant with a sniper, not that the team knew that yet. Which also meant that Hansel's original life was close to its end, and where Fahren as Hansel would be stepping into the unknown.

[ TBC ]

[ A/N: Is Jakob the new MianMian? Pfft ]

[ If you're interested in reading ahead~ then you'll be happy to hear that I have a Patreon with two chapter's ahead! I'm quickly running out of sales-pitches, so: 'ooo-ahh patreon~' ] [ All links are in my bio <3 ]