Chapter Sixty-Seven | Third World

Start from the beginning

Bjorn had no reaction to the squad leader's frank words, so it was obvious he thought the same. But Hansel was dumbfounded, "Then why are we going there?"

"It's still a fucking large wall between us and the Rotters, so we can hardly turn down an opportunity. But we're never going to be complacent- no, just patient." The way he spoke, was a lot like what Hansel sounded like when he had a solid and reliable plan.

And it sent shivers down his spine.

He didn't even attempt to pry the answers out of the man, because it was clear that Valentin already had a sound ideology when it came to who he could trust with the knowledge within the Scavenger team. And Hansel was still entirely expendable in his view.

For the umpteenth time since he took part in the world, he felt vulnerable. No medical knowledge could compare to the trigger-happy teammates of his. For the remainder of the time that it took for them to travel along before pulling over for rest, Hansel further planned what he could do to address his endless supply of weaknesses. And what he came up with was potential suicide-

They had done a solid fourteen hours travelling. The fuel which the men had gathered from other cars being of fundamental importance as they did. But to give the cars, as well as the team, a short rest before they continued on, Valentin instructed that Bjorn find a semi-enclosed space that they could spend a short while in, but somewhere they could also have a vantage point.

That came in the form of a church. A creepy, gothic one, which ticked all the boxes. Obviously before the world erupted, it was closed for some repairs, as there was some scaffolding around it, and there was also a metal gate surrounding the premises.

After a quick muttering down the radio from Valentin, someone from one of the other two vehicles jumped out. They glanced around before heading for the metal gate. He fiddled with a lock for a short while, before inevitably having to pick it. When it was opened, Bjorn was the first to drive through.

The weather had cleared up, as it would after many hours, but even still there was no sign of any lurking Rotters. The thrum of their three engines was enough of a target, but still the old streets were empty. But that didn't mean they weren't going to lock up behind them.

Peering through the windows of the old church, it seemed abandoned, so with a less than graceful kick of the front door, it flew open and they went inside. Everyone looked around, given the time of day the architecture was a little creepy. But when someone mentioned food- all was forgotten.

Valentin disappeared with Bjorn, no doubt to check on the view they could get from the spire. Meanwhile, Hansel looked over to Jakob. He was fiddling with his knives, and looked all-around menacing, but it didn't stop him from walking over.

They had one light that they had set up in the middle of the room, and it did a decent job of lighting their surroundings, but not enough so it could be seen from outside. But as Hansel got close to the man, his light source was halved and he looked up with a scowl. When he saw who it was, his expression shifted.

"Willingly approaching me, can we be considered best o' friends now?" Jakob enquired with a big grin on his face. An expression which could be considered 'cheeky' and 'handsome'. If you didn't actually know what Jakob was really like. Meanwhile, Hansel frowned. Although the older man in front of him could easily get rid of him with a slice of his knife, Jakob was the type that was overbearing and ultimately just needed to have his ear twisted. So he was blunt,

"I want you to teach me."

"Teach ya' what?" Jakob wiggled his eyebrows.

"How to throw knives, more specifically- at Rotters."