Chapter Seven: Kate's POV

After this bad day, all I wanted to do was eat dinner and go to bed. When I was heading to the kitchen, I felt my phone buzz in my pocket and I really hoped it wasn't Jack. I couldn't deal with him or anything he had to say right now. I needed a break from him, and I was unsure how long that break had to be. But the text wasn't from Jack; it was from my friend Kyle.

Happy birthday beautiful! How was your day?

I smiled. Kyle had always called me 'beautiful' even though we were 100% friends.

Thank you! It was... Eventful.

Hot date with the boyfriend?

Not exactly. I'm thinking frozen dinner and a movie with my sister.

Well that just won't do! I'm picking you up in a half an hour.

At first I hesitated, not sure if I should agree to going out with another guy. But here's how I justified it: number one, it was not a date because we both knew we were just friends. Number two, Jack had his chance to take me out, but he blew it. So I sent back, Ok, see you then :]

I left the kitchen to go get ready. I put on some makeup and was picking out an outfit when Kristy walked in and sat on my bed.

"Where are you going?"

"Kyle's taking me out."

"Oh. And Jack's okay with this? He's never liked him..." she was right, Jack has never liked Kyle. That wasn't because of his personality, however. Jack always felt like Kyle was going to steal me away from him. He thought that Kyle had feelings for me, even though I'd told him a million times were just friends.

"I don't care if Jack's ok with it or not. He'll just have to deal with it. Plus, he probably won't find out, and that's ok with me." I secretly hoped that Jack would find out.

"Good, he should just have to deal with it. He didn't take you out so why shouldn't some other guy?" she pointed out. She'd always said 'If you don't treat your girl/boyfriend well, someone else will.'

Kristy helped me pick out jeans, red heels, and a red v-neck sweater to wear and made my hair look unbelievably cute. I was actually kind of looking forward to going out with Kyle. Not because I liked him as more than a friend, because I didn't, but because I knew I deserved to go out tonight!

"I think I just heard the door. Well, have fun! And remember, be careful. Even though Jack seriously screwed up, he is your boyfriend." Kristy said before I hugged and thanked her for everything.

"Hi, Kyle!" I greeted, opening the door.

"You look beautiful, Kate!" he complimented, giving me a quick hug.

"Thank you! You don't look so bad yourself!" I complimented back, meaning it. Kyle actually was an attractive guy, but I've known him for so long that I didn't really see him that way.