Chapter 38

Two days later, tensions between Riker and I began to rise. It was over little things at first, not answering each other, zoning out when the other was talking, stupid stuff. But now it was getting worse.

"Marilyn, can you just calm down?" Riker snapped.

"I would calm down if you just told me why you're doing this!" My long skinny fingers traveled up and through my scalp angrily.

"I'm just stressed and you trying to comfort me in every way possible is getting annoying! I just wish you'd disappear sometimes!" Tears brimmed in my eyes and right now, Riker didn't seem to care. He stood up and started to back me up, a nasty snarl stuck to his face.

"Get away from me." I whispered. Riker backed me up into a wall and pinned my arms above my head. "Stop! I hate you!" I began to strain against his firm grip but his years of boxing and lifting weights said otherwise.

"Stop." Riker hushed me. I looked away, still angry. "I know you hate me. I'm just stressed."

"Let me go. I need some space." Riker dropped my arms and I ran down the stairs and outside. Collapsing in one of the plastic lawn chairs, I sobbed. I wasn't sure what I was sobbing over but it felt good to get it out of my system. Arms wrapped around my body and I slid into the hug.

"It's okay, I know he can be a jerk sometimes. That part will probably never go away." Ross's voice cooed. "But I'm always here if you want to talk."

I pulled away and dragged my finger under my eye. I look at Ross who was finally starting to mature. His facial features began to harden and his muscle had formed in his biceps and legs. Sometimes when I would pick Riker up from the gym, Ross went with him to train together and they'd always give me sweaty hugs.

"Do you want to talk about what you guys are fighting about?"

"It's my fault, I'm being super clingy and I need to give him some breathing space. To be honest, I would enjoy some space too."

"Then why don't you and Rydel drive to our beach house for the weekend? It's about an hour or two away and there are so many great things there! A huge private ocean, endless shops, great food, and the best tour sites in the world!"

"That does sound great."

"And while you guys are away, Rocky, Ryland, Ell and I will give Riker the best time of his life!"

"Okay." I laughed. "I'll think and highly consider it. Thanks Ross. You're a great friend." I hugged him and even placed a peck on his cheek. His face tinted pink and I smiled as I walked away and found Rydel.

"I heard it all. We're doing it. Mom can drive and it's totally amazing! You'll love it!"

"Thanks so much Rydel. I can't wait." I hugged Rydel and she got on the phone with Ben. I decided to spend a little time down stairs and practicing piano to relieve some of my stress. Foot steps stopped my fingers and Riker descended the stairs.

"Can we talk?" He said. His eyes were bloodshot and his face puffy.

"Of course." We sat on the couch and Riker didn't hold me like I was hoping for.

"I'm really sorry, Marilyn. I shouldn't have called you annoying. I love you."

I half smiled, "I love you too."

"But," Shit. "I do think we need some space."

"Yeah, Rydel and I are taking a weekend away this Friday. Ross said that it was just going to be you and the boys."

"I mean a little longer. Maybe this tour won't be such a horrible thing. Perhaps, it'll help our relationship because us fighting isn't healthy." Riker's hand landed on my sweat pant covered knee.

"Yeah, you're right." I wanted to cry, but not in front of him. "I'm gonna go on a walk. I'll see ya later." I bounced off the couch and left out of the basement door. I turned down the street and ran to the park. I remembered the exact situation a few years ago, me upset about Riker and coming here. But then I saw him with Veronica and felt like puking. I didn't want people to see me so I threw myself into a tree and relaxed into the branches. I cried. What if this two month break meant it was a chance for Riker to find someone? I covered my sob when I saw a familiar blonde head bobbing below.

"Marilyn, please come down." Ross said. "I'm your best friend ever! Jump and I'll catch you." I pretended to not see him but Ross caused a big scene and people were starting to stare and laugh so finally I said, "Alright!" and jumped down. He did catch me and wiped my tears away.

"It's alright. If you're not ready to face him, we don't have to go home. We can go get to my favorite place and you can even sleep in my bed tonight and I won't make a move. Just please, don't run away from us."

My voice was still thick with tears and I croaked out, "Okay." Ross and I walked. "Where are we going?"

"It's this little stream in the woods. It's where I go when I need to be alone."