I nod my head in understanding.

"Also," She walks over and brings a dark red wood box. A white bow wrapped around it. "I thought you might have want to bury them yourself."

I feel a tear fall down my cheek.

"Um, thank you," I hear my voice crack.

"Now, if you need anything, give me a call."

"We will," I respond, "Thank you Doctor..."

"Anderson. Dr. Anderson. But also you can call me Julia." She reaches out her hand and I take it. "See you in two weeks."

A couple of the nurses help bring the dog out to the car.

"Hey, so can you go to the store and buy some food and get the medicine. If she wakes up sooner, I want to be right next to her." I ask Adelaide as soon she starts driving. I stay sitting in the back and pet the dog.

"Yeah, no problem." She nods her head.

"And she is sleeping in bed with us," I tell her. "I mean, I will need to figure out how she will get down and use the restroom. I may have to call Dr. Anderson on that, but I want her with me until she is completely better."

"Babe," she looks back at me in the rearview mirror, "it's okay. Whatever you want to do."

I give her a small smile in thanks. We reach the house and put the dog on the bed.

"Honey," Adelaide says. I stand up after putting a blanket over her. "Come here."

I walk into Adelaide's arms and relax as soon as she wraps them. My shoulders become loose and I let out a deep breath. I didn't even realize how tense I was.

"Are you okay?" she whispers into my head and rests her chin on it.

"I just can't understand how someone can treat a dog like that? And she was pregnant. She lost every single one of them. I can't imagine how she must feel." I look over at the box with the puppies in it.

When Adelaide leaves I lay down next to the dog. As I pet her I feel her stomach rise and fall continuously.

"Hey God," I stare up at the ceiling. Not entirely remembering how to pray considering it has been so long. "I know it has been awhile. But, I don't know why you brought this dog to me. Someone who is already going through so much pain. But I will take care of her."

I am silent for a couple minutes.

Then I think of the perfect name for her.

"So that is what I should call her." I chuckle lightly.

Adelaide comes back half an hour later with food and medicine. She gets it all ready and brings it upstairs.

"I know what to name her," I tell her when she walks into the bedroom. "Kona. It is the city my mom was born in."

Adelaide smiles and walks to the bed. "I love it."

She kisses my forehead and lays down, and I lay my head on her chest and we watch the dog until she slowly lifts her head up ten minutes later.

"Hey pretty girl," I crawl over and rub her head lightly. "Your name is Kona now okay? And I am going to take care of you."

Adelaide grabs the food and place it in front of the dog. She slowly starts to eat, barely able to even lift her head. After about half the bowl is gone, she begins to whimper and pointing her nose towards the dresser. I look over and remember the box with her puppies.

"Hey, can you grab it?" I ask Adelaide.

Adelaide brings it over and Kona begins to whimper more and wraps herself as much as she can around the box.

I look over to Adelaide and see tears falling down her face. I grab her hand and we watch the dog as she keeps herself around the box.

We help Kona down the stairs and out to the back porch. She carries the box in her mouth and Adelaide and I follow. She has been home with us for six hours and she has laid down for most. All of a sudden she stood up.

She walks down to the sand and begins to dig a hole, when it is about a foot deep, she places the box in the sand and puts sand on top. When she is finished she walks back up the few steps towards the porch and back into the house. When we follow her into the house we see her laying down on a pillow that must have fallen. We just sit next to her and watch a movie.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Damn I hated this. I didn't entirely know how to write this because it was so sad and I was crying the whole time.