Chapter 26

My parents and I have never done our own family thanksgiving dinner because we are so exhausted from the luncheon, and we eat with the people. I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing because I love speakimg with the people and telling each other stories. To me that is so much more meaningful than sitting with family. I will admit, the idea of sitting with my parents and extended family sounds nice, but to be a part of other people experiencing a meal like that is more fulfilling.

I spend the rest of my day watching different movies on Netflix. My dad stayed at church, as he has done every day sibce I have come home, and my mom working in her office at the house.

The next two days also pass by quickly. Lydia, Sam, and I all agreed that after church we would get together. They will take me to where Lydia's restaurant will be, and we are going to find someplace to eat.

"So when do you leave, sweetie?" One of the senior ladies at church asks me after church.

I smile sweetly. "I fly back to California tomorrow."

"Oh, well, it was so good seeing you Willow." She hugs me and I give her a hug back.

"Thank you, Miss Arlene."

"We are all praying for you, sweetie."

I smile again and she walks away. I sit down on the pew next to me and watch the people around me. I grew up surrounded by these people, and they all know who I am. Most of these people were here when I was born. I can't imagine what they would think if they knew I am gay.

"Are you ready?" I turn around and see Lydia and Sam walkimg into the chapel.

I jump up from the pew and walk over to them. "Let's go, but let me tell my mom I'm leaving first."

I quickly find my mom talking to some ladies and that causes me to need to stand there for ten more minutes while we have small talk.

I walk outside to see Lydia and Sam sitting at a bench.

"I am so so so so so sorry. These ladies started asking questions and I didn't want to be rude."

Sam chuckles. "Willow, we've been around for how long? We've gotten used to it."

"Okay." I day although I still feel guilty for making them wait.

Sam sits in the driver's seat while Lydia sits in the passenger.

"Do you remember when we taught you hoe to drive two years ago? Almost wrecked our car." Sam says while shaking his head. He oulls out of the church's parking lot and starts for downtown.

"Well, you didn't give me any instruction!" I defend myself. "You just sat me in the front and told me to 'go ahead!'"

"That is true." Lydia says.

"Thank y-"

"But who turns directly for a tree?" She interrupts me.

"Hey who's side are you on?" Sam asks.

"No one's. I understand both sides."

"So how are you liking California, Willow?" Sam asks. "We didn't have much timr to catch up yesterday."

"The school is amazing. The people are so nice and the band is amazing!"

"That's good."

"I did get punched in the nose at the beginning of the school year."

"Really?" They both exclaim at the same time.

I chuckle. "Yeah, but the girl was expelled."

"Did you punch her back?" Sam asks.