Chapter 38

"No, Darth Vader is the absolute worst character of Star Wars," Adelaide says with a loud voice but not yet yelling. "He killed children!!"

"Yes," I nod my my head but keep my eyes on the road and hands on the steering wheel. "But he saved his son. He stood up for his son. He redeemed himself."

"Okay but if he had become a Jedi, then this whole thing probably wouldn't have happened. So it is his fault."

"Yeah, a lot pf things wouldnt have happened but then the greatest franchise would have never been created!"

"You're right," she nods her head. "But he is still terrible."

I shake my head. "Whatever."

"How did we start arguing about this?"

"I started talkimg about how the same guy who voiced Mufasa was the voice for Darth Vader."

"Oh Yeah," she nods her head. "I can hear it. That's cool."

"So, lunch?" I ask as I look at the clock in my car that says 1:13.

"Yes I am starving," she exclaims. "I didnt want to say anything until you did."

"Babe," i sigh. "I could have stopped at a gas station and got you something."

"No, you were so focused on darth vader and Mufasa."

"Oh shut up," I laugh and lightly slap her shoulder.

She laughs back. I look back onto the road and continue driving. I pull off onto the exit and I hear Adelaide speak up again.

"I love you."

I look back at her smiling when i stop at the intersection. "I love you too."

I pull into the gas station to fill the car and adelaide walks into the diner to get us a table. I watch her walk into the diner and sit down. A minute later, as I hold the gas pump, my phone begins to ring. I look at the caller ID and see it is Logan. I press answer and hold the phone to my ear.

"Hey," I say.

"I know it has only been 12 hours, but how are you doing now?"

"I don't know," I sigh, "I woke up this morning with a big pain in my chest. And I have just been driving for the past couple hours and that has distracted me."

I take the pump out of the car and put it back. I finish the transaction and sit in the driver's seat of my car.

"That's good. But don't distract yourself too much," she encourages, "you won't accept it and feel better. Eventually, if you push your emotions away, it will all come crashing down on you. And I will be here for you, but it hurts so much more. You need to acknowledge everything you are feeling."

"Yeah." I feel the tears begin to form in my eyes. "You are correct."

"And why are you driving?" Logan asks.

I release a deep breath. "My dad had me take all my belongings and everything I inherited from my mom. He doesn't want to see me again."

At this point the tears are falling and my voice is almost incomprehensible.

"Willow, do you need me to leave school to accompany you?"

I chuckle, not really knowing how to respond to this question. Do I tell her someone is already with me and that opens a whole conversation? Or do I lie? If I do the latter, then it is one lie, but I cannot tell Logan that my teacher is driving across country with me. Even if we are close, what teacher would do that?