Chapter 39

"What would you like to know?" The doctor asks.

We brought the dog in an hour ago and I asked that she -it is a she- is checked for everything: fleas, worms...or just anything else that dogs can have. On the ride over to the vet the dog was lightly shaking and it was such a struggle to get her into the car. She wouldn't, or maybe couldn't, jump so we had to pick her up. But when we touched her, she would yelp. My heart broke when I would hear that sound. It does not help that she is a pretty big dog.

The bleeding on her head would not stop either. I used my jacket to try to press against it to stop it but the dog would be in so much pain.

When we arrived at the vet, I asked Adelaide to go in and see if their is a animal gurney they could have to help bring her in instead of walk. Luckily they did. As soon as they got her on the gurney, the dog stayed in a laying position.

"I would like to know everything," I answer. "Everything about her condition."

"Well, it seems to be that she was abused, significantly. She has bruises all over her body and the cut looks as if she was punched."

I feel tears welling in my eyes and I gasp when the doctor says where the bleeding may have come from. Adelaide puts her arm around my waist and holds onto my arm and rubs it.

"However, I found something much more significant."

The doctor walks over to the computer, and I walk over to the dog who was put under anesthesia. I begin to pet her softly.

"This is her uterus," she makes a circle motion with her finger in front of the screen, "and in it you can see puppies. I was not able to find a heartbeat for any. I believe that the physical abuse was not the cause, but of malnourishment. This dog, and her puppies have not been fed in weeks."

Tears are falling from my face. I look down at the dog, the mother who has lost her babies.

"So what can you do? And what do we need to do?" I ask.

"Well, I can begin by performing a surgery and releasing the stillborns from the uterus. I have already stitched the cut so there is no worry for that." She answers. "Now what you can do, you can take her home and lay her down on a place with cushion. After the surgery, you can come back to get the stitches out in a few weeks. But what this dog really needs is love. However, I don't know what it was about you, but the dog came to you and gave whatever small amount of trust she had left, to you."

I nod my head in understanding. The surgery will take a few hours so Adelaide and I go home so I can change and eat.

After changing and eating, we head back to animal hospital. There should be about an hour left so Adelaide and I sit in the waiting room. I lean my head onto her shoulder and she lightly rubs my head. Adelaide and I have not spoken since I explained where the dog came from in the car.

I still don't understand why she came up to me, but I am happy she did. Where would she be if she didn't come to me? Dead?

***

I wake up to Adelaide lightly shaking me and I see the dog over by the dog.

"She's done honey," Adelaide says.

I immediately stand up and walk to the doctor.

"We have placed her on a gurney, and you can take it home and bring it back when you get the stitches out." She walks into the room we were in a few hours ago, and the dog is still asleep. "She should be asleep for another hour or so, so you should be able to move her with ease onto a couch or bed. Now, when she wakes up I would have some food read, preferably soft. Also," she writes down on a paper, "here is the prescription for her medicine. You can crush it and mix it into the food."