Chapter 14

For the past few days Adelaide and I have gotten along well. We decided on not talking about our feelings at all and if one of us does, we call the other out. We realize that we are miserable without each other. But the thing is, I am also miserable when I am with her. I have all these conflicting feelings. My religion, society, my feelings. Everything is just flying around me head and I don't know what to do. I can't talk to anyone.

But I have been able to be semi distravted with the concert today. I am nervous for my solo and I am terrified that I am going to mess up. Everytime we have played that song, I have been close to crying because of how much I relate to it. How much it relates to Adelaide and I's situation. What if I break down in the middle of it? But after talking to Logan, not giving details, just telling her it is just about my sexyality, I feel a lot vetter.

I am currently walking to the band room. We are not rehearsing today because we are spending the class period to set up the auditorium for the concert. The choir and orchestra will also be performing today and they prepared their things. But Adelaide wanted to have us do the main parts because she trusts us more.

I walk into the class room and find my seat. Everyone is clearly excited for the Fall concert. From what I have heard from students from previous years, there have only been Winter and Spring concerts. However, Adelaide decided on making more. And I guess they like that. As stressing as performing is, it is so much fun. There is no way to describe sitting on that stage. How quiet it is before you start a song. Everyone, even the audience, on the edge of their seats to hear. It is amazing.

"Alright guys," Adelaide says when she steps onto the podium. "Today is the day. But to make this day happen, we need to get the stage ready. So we need to stack up all chairs and stands and take them to the auditorium. Percussipn, you can just worry about your equipment. And when that is all done, you all are fismissed. I would just like a few people to stay back to help grab extra things."

We all stand up and begin to stack chairs and put them on carts and put the music stands on the carts. After about hapf an hour we are finished and when I reach back to the band room, I see that no one staued behind. Which I am not entirely surprised by. Who would expect a bunch of teenagers stay behind to finish.

I walk towards Adelaide's office and lean on the doorway. I fold my arms and smile. "I guess it is just you and I."

She looks at me. Then she shakes her head and takes off her glasses. "You're kidding me, right?"

I chuckle. "I don't think it would be this quiet if others were here."

She stands up and walks into the class room and looks at all the things placed by the door that we need to take to the auditorium. Luckily, it is just next door.

"How about we start with the bigger things, such as the podium and riser and work our way down." I suggest.

Adelaide nods her head. "I agree. Lets go." We both start of by picking up the riser she stands on and it was funny for her to walk backwards very fast with her long arms but me being half a foot shorter than she is, I was practically jogging. With the other things we carried together she was more considerate.

While we brought miscellaneous things to the auditorium, Adelaide and I had genuine fun. You could tell it wasn't forced. We were just being ourselves. It was so nice. After the past month of being of and on and me being a mess. It was just so nice to hang out with her and talk.

We both sit in the front row and look up at the stage, admiring hos we set it up. "Are you nervous?" Adelaide asks. She looks over at me. I don't turn to look at her.

"Um, yeah." I admit.

"Hey," she smiles. "You're going to do great. And since you start the song, I'll just let you start and I will follow you."