Chapter 21

"Mom!" I exclaim when I see her waiting for me at the baggage claim.

I run into her open arms and hug her. She hugs me back, tightly.

"How was the flight?" She asks.

"I slept the whole time. I had to wake up so early so I was exhausted."

"Well that is good," we walk to grab my bag. "Then You are awake enough for us to hang out."

I laugh and grab my bag. We walk to the parking garage in silence.

"So what all has changed in the town since I left?" I ask my mom.

"Some things," she begins. "The frozen yogurt place finally was finished over by the house."

She is silent for a few mome ts to think. "Do you remember Desiree, the girl at church that was pregnant?" I nod my head. "Well, she had a beautiful baby girl."

"Aweee. What else?" I ask.

"Well..."

"Mom, what?" I ask looking at her questioningly.

"It is about Marilyn." She co tinues to look at the road.

"What?"

"She got pregnant," she says quickly.

"Oh my goodness gracious." My mouth us hanging open in surprise.

"How did her parents react?"

"Well, you know them. They don't like to show vulnerability. So they seem to be okay. But I don't think they are."

Wow the irony in that. She stops being my friend because I am gay. But she gets knocked up.

There is no traffic so we get home quickly.

As we pull into the driveway of my house, I feel weird. Like, this is the place I have lived my whole life. But I don't feel any connection to it anymore. Like it isn't my home anymore.

I mean, if I really think about it. It has no meaning to.me anymore. I don't have anything in this town exceot for my mom. But now, everything else that I care for is in California. Adelaide, the girls.

Right when I walked into mt room, I felt the same way. It is so empty. I packed up everything before I left. My Fleetwood Mac posters are not on the walls. My pictures of family and friends arent on mt dresser. My clothes aren't in my closet. It just feels so surreal. All that is left with color are my walls.

I put everything away and make.my way downstairs. My dad is most likely at church. My mom made some pizza from a frozen pizza and we just sit at the island and eat.

Crazy to think that 3 months ago I sat here. Not knowing what leaving would bring me. Not knowing what was going to happen.

But it turned out to be the best thing to ever happen to me.

I met Adelaide because of it.

We finish eating and watch a movie. It is a hallmark christmas movie, but it is almost christmas anyways. We laugh, and cry. That is how all these movies go. My favorite is A Christmas Prince. When she broke that vase, all I can think is, 'same.'

When the movie ends, my dad comes home. My mom turns and says hello, but you can feel the tension. I do not even look at him, nor say a word. He says hello my mother also and leaves the room to go somewhere in the house that isnt the living room.

"Would you like to go to the mal" My mom asks me.

"That would be nice," I tell her.

She grabs her purse and I grab my phone and put on my shoes and we leave.

"Are you okay?" My mom asks me after several minutes in the car.

I nod my head. "Yeah."

"I want you to know that I am just as mad with him. You don't deserve to go through what you are going through."

"Can we just, not talk about it?" I hear my voice cracking. Tears almost falling.

"Definitely."

The rest of the drive is in silence. Not awkward. But you can tell each of us are thinking about it.

"So where would you like to go first?" My mom asks me.

"Hot Topic. I need to see their Hufflepuff merch." Yes, I am a Hufflepuff.

We go in and I only find a Hufflepuff tshirt. But it doesnt look appealing to me so I dont get it.

However I do hear my mom call me over.

"Look at this," she holds up a pride flag. "I'm getting you this."

"Oh no," I laugh. "Dont be that mom."

"Oh Yes," she says. "I will definitely be that mom "1

"And I will get you this," she holds up pride socks. "And this. Amd this."

She continues picking out pride things and I just laugh.

It all comes out to maybe, $40. But I stopped telking her no after the 4th item. Luckily it was only 6.

Afterwards we grab Froyo.

Whule we are sitting I hear my name.

I turn around and see Marilyn and her mom. I look straight at her stomach and see a small lump. She walks over, cupping her stomach.

"I didn't know you were coming back for tganksgiving," she says when she reaches my table. Her mom talks to mine.

"Yep," I respond. "Here I am."

"How is California?" She asks.

"It's amazing," I smile. "So many nice people."

She smiles back. "That's great! We should hang out this week."

"Um, yeah. Sure." I say.

God could this get any awkward.

"Well, my mom anx I were just about to go. I will see you later willow."

Her and her mom walk away and my mom and I look at each other and take deep breaths and continue eating our Froyo.

-------------------------------------------------

Lol I didnt plan on making Marilyn pregnant. But then I was like, my readers are gonna FREAK if I do that. So here we are