CHAPTER FIFTY-FOUR

I wondered which male the unexpected visit scandalised most: the amputee garbed in cashmere or the grey-eyed soldier scheduled for late-night surveillance duty at the Manor

I wondered which male the unexpected visit scandalised most: the amputee garbed in cashmere or the grey-eyed soldier scheduled for late-night surveillance duty at the Manor. Judging by their pallidness, their shuddering twitchiness, both men were equally aghast, which is almost incomprehensible, given the fact I had yet to utter a word. I was momentarily nonplussed by their rubicund faces and loose, rumpled attire, though.

"Yeah..." Nate merely smiled. "Did we come at a bad time?"

Alfie's rosy cheeks pushed tanned freckles into the foreground. "It is not how it looks."

It is exactly how it looked.

I stepped over the box of condoms on the floor.

"Those are from last night." Alfie's irregular breathing heightened as he kicked the unopened box aside. "I mean, I met a woman downtown and invited her over."

"You got unlucky, huh?" Nate drawled, and Alfie's lips meshed in perplexity. "Am I in the wrong lane? It's just you never got to use them..." His hand smothered amused lip twitches. "Maybe you went bareback?"

"Perhaps Alfie prepared for another visit." Naturally, I glanced at Jax. "Or he was until you arrived."

"Yes," Alfie stuttered. "She is coming over this evening. I wanted to stock up."

Nate laughed under his breath.

"I had to drop off whey protein." Jax tidied his dishevelled hair. "I should go." He looked uncomfortable in Nate's shadow. It's not often lower ranked soldiers conversed with the elite. "I guess I will see you at the Manor."

"Doubtful." Nate toyed with the gold curb bracelets on his wrist. "Run along."

Alfie refused to look at Jax. "Thanks for the order, mate."

Nate hearkened to their awkward exchange through tight, sceptical eyes.

When Jax, red-complexioned and noticeably disappointed by Alfie's coldness, fled the apartment, Alfie sat on the brown chesterstone sofa. "What can I do for you, Warren?"

Popping open the button of my suit jacket, I eased into the leather wing chair. "Are you lovers?"

Sweat trickled from his temples in slow dews. "I am not gay."

I made a low, humming sound. "Is Jax privy to your sexual preference?"

Alfie was at a loss for words.

"Jax is attracted to men, correct?"

His voice lowered. "Is that what he signed on the job application?"

I simply stared.

"Yes," he answered after a short pause. "Yes, Jax is gay. His sexuality should not affect his employment, though."