CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

Leather gloves stretching to accommodate my fingers, I extended a hand, and Nate slapped a threaded ten-inch barrel onto my upward facing palm alongside a Bowers 50-cal suppressor

Leather gloves stretching to accommodate my fingers, I extended a hand, and Nate slapped a threaded ten-inch barrel onto my upward facing palm alongside a Bowers 50-cal suppressor. Attaching both parts to the Desert Eagle, I loaded cartridges and affixed the magazine.

I sent Alexa a text message.

Me: Where are you?

Alexa: It doesn't matter.

Me: It matters.

Alexa: I am pretty sure Alfie's kept you posted.

Me: I haven't messaged Alfie.

Alexa: Why?

Me: I wanted to give my wife the opportunity of elucidation.

Alexa: How chivalrous of you?

Me: Alexa, I am losing patience.

Alexa: I left the Manor at sunrise when I realised my husband stayed out all night. If you must know, I am spending the day at Jace's place.

When I went home to shower this morning, the guards informed me of Alexa's departure. She had left at the crack of dawn, her most trusted bodyguard, Alfie, in tow. I am not concerned for her safety, not while he stands by her side; however, even though it's touch and go between us recently, I need her to know I still care.

Me: I spent the night at Club 11 with Brad and Josh.

Alexa: I never asked.

Me: Baby, I sensed your bitterness through the phone.

Me: I tried to dispel mistrust.

Alexa: What?

Me: You know what.

Alexa: In my defence, I think most women would not appreciate their husbands avoiding them or staying out all night – never mind the issue of sleeping in separate beds!

Alexa: I never accused you of extracurricular activity. Reassurance was sparked by self-reproach.

Me: I am guilty of many transgressions but cheating on you will never be an offence.

Alexa: Then, why didn't you come home, Liam?

Me: I am angry with you.

Alexa: Ditto.

I dialled Alexa's number.

"What?" she shouted the second our call connected.

I grind my teeth. "You better watch your mouth."

"You don't get to call and demand respect," she argued, and Nate turned his head to shield mirth. "I ask very little of you, Liam. After we took vows, you promised to come to bed every night, even if it's late or in the early hours. Why must I wake up alone because you'd rather avoid confrontation?"