06 | A Cruel New World

"Alpha."

The voice came from a head bowed in respect but a body shaking in terror.

"You requested a presence with me?" Alpha Ryker asked, turning around to face young Alisa.

With a silent nod, she couldn't help but bow her head. The longer she stayed here, the greater the pull was to respect the chain of command that came before her.

"You don't have to." he stated, lifting her head.

"I am not your Alpha unless you choose for me to be. Have you made your decision early then?"

"With all due respect, I'd like the last week to still decide whether this could be my forever home." she replied, feeling a hint of fear.

The longer she stayed, the more she felt that this could be home to her which was wrong on so many levels for her.

She had grown up with tales of their life, tidbits that struck fear inside of her as a young witch. Werewolves loved to eat them as babies - another ridiculous story of fear she had to swallow back just to look the man in the eye.

Eye contact was also a thing of respect and if she wanted to survive this new cruel world, she had to play ball.

But her deep seeded hatred for werewolves was still inside of her, but decreasing the more time she spent with Maya and Ryder.

The pack lands were evergreen, beautiful despite any weather. She wondered how crops grew in Snake's Canyon, for the land that touched Alpha Ryker's territory was barren and bare.

It could almost be magic the way his lands were perfect.

"There are many things I still don't understand."

"In time, all will be revealed. But what did you come to ask me, child?" The reply was swift and to the point.

"Why did you spare me?"

There was silence following her question. It seemed he was hesitant to answer.

"I don't know how your natural stories painted us out to be but we aren't monsters. I can feel your fear from miles away." he began, swallowing thickly with a sad smile.

"I know this is hard for you, Alisa. But I see something inside of you. There's a reason for all of this, despite how unclear it feels at times."

"But the other wolves don't like me very much."

"In time that'll change once you pick a side."

His words had a double meaning despite his intentions, unaware of the choice of words he'd used.

"Before you say anything - I am aware you still can't shift on command. I think you're suppressing it. Once you decide this is what you want, it'll become easier in time."

There was a pause before he continued.

"The other wolves still see you as a threat. Would you take kindly to strangers that could harm your family?"

Alisa shook her head, knowing the exact feeling he was describing. She'd always felt a fierce sense of protection for those she cared for in ways she didn't understand.

She wondered if that's what made her part wolf; the parts of her that cared for people.

Witches weren't known for their hearts or feelings.

Different in ways she was starting to finally understand.

"I forgot to ask, my apologies; do you have family waiting for you?"

"No, I'm a no mans," she whispered, willing her heart not to break for the lie.

She was cast out, disowned by the only family she had. Her mother knew her place and didn't fight for her daughter.

A part of her wished that Asha had fought for her despite the consequences of doing such an act.

At least they could've been casted out together.

Alpha Ryker bowed his head, "I apologize for asking. Think about my offer; you will never have to search for a family again."

He looked up as he heard a knock on the door, knowing full well who was behind it.

"Father, don't expect an answer." Ryder commented as he entered his father's office.

"She needs more time. Permission to show who we are without all the complications?" He asked, bowing his head in respect.

"Hmm...Granted. Show her our truths."

With a nod, Ryder looked down at Alisa.

"Are you ready to understand why you're one of us?"

Blue eyes widened with hesitation, but knowing he'd had many chances and yet never harmed a hair on her head, she should be safe for now.

Ryder seemed entirely harmless but also deadly if needed to be.

'What would happen if the odds were reversed and we'd met when I was a witch? Would he have harmed me?' She wondered to herself.

"You have exactly a week until the moon is at its fullest before you, Alisa, will have to make a decision. I seldom see you until then," Alpha Ryker said, leaving no room for discussion.

With a nod, the two left the office.

Alisa anticipated to find out what made the shapeshifters so different to the witches. She needed to know more about their fascinating culture, even if it killed her.

She was desperate to know the true reasons to why she was spared when others before weren't and why she felt the pull in both worlds.

Home had blurred for her - feeling a sense of security here as much as there. But she refused to be pulled into a false sense of safety.

Facts were the only thing she could trust now; these were the only ones she could see with her own pair of eyes and validate.

"Let's start with the definition of family."

Ryder knew that introducing her to Cora, Maya's best friend, would help smooth out the areas Alisa was still clearly terrified of.

The three of them were Alpha Ryker's only chance at finding Alisa a real home.

The basics just weren't going to cut it anymore.

"I know what the definition is."

"By book alone," he replied back, promptly.

"Then show me."

Alisa knew she was going to regret it the moment the words left her lips but there was no going back now.

As Ryder opened the doors to the pack house, letting in the stream of sunlight, Alisa finally saw what she was missing of the bigger picture.

Crowds of people were scattered along the land, mingling with each other. Smiles covered each and everyone's faces. Alisa could feel the happiness cascading off them in waves.

"It's time to finally meet the Sabor Tooth pack for what they are; not monsters but a community full of life and hope." Ryder stated, pointing along at the wolves minding their own business.

His finger stopped on a man who was playing with a pup, watching the father tickle him mercilessly and their laughs ringing around.

Ryder opened his mouth, taking a deep breath before he delivered the final three words.

"A true sense of family and purpose."