Chapter 6 • Letting go

Two weeks passed since spring break, and Ayanna hadn't even stepped one foot into school or work

Two weeks passed since spring break, and Ayanna hadn't even stepped one foot into school or work. Both her family and the Ventura's knew about her and Ava's breakup - and to say she was distraught was an understatement.

She didn't see any flaws in how she treated her girlfriend in the pass few years, but she beat herself up as she rewinded Ava's words to her over and over again. To make things worse, Ava hadn't even called to patch things up or see if she would even considering taking her back. It was as if she didn't care.

Ayanna had even texted her a few times to start up a conversation, but they always fell on death ears. She was confused how she was the one who had gotten cheated on, but was being treated like the one who did the cheating.

"Ayanna hunny, your dad called again"

Ruth, Ayanna's mom cracked open the door to her bedroom.

Her dad had been calling because he needed Ayanna back in the office. She also had one more absence available before all her professors dropped her from their roster.

"How long do you think you're going to need?" Her mom asked sincerely, sitting at the edge of her bed, "The girl hasn't even called you yet"

"I know mom" Ayanna rolled her eyes, "it's just...I didn't see us heading this way".

Ruth loved and sympathized with her daughter, but she had a disdain for her stupidity. Ava hadn't been the most discrete throughout the years with her cheating, however Ayanna was always so into her
studies or being a homebody she didn't even notice.

That's how uninterested she was in her own girlfriends life. She believed because they grew up together, there was no need to spend as much quality time or even have sex anymore. Their love exceeded that, or so she believed.

"Baby girl, you guys are like night and day" Ruth truthfully said, "why don't you try guys? You've never dated anyone besides Vee".

Her mother would've loved to see her daughter start dating men. While she had nothing against her daughters' lifestyle, she definitely wanted grandkids one day - made the old fashioned way.

"She's just going through a phase Ma" Ayanna assured her mother, "she'll be back".

Ruth had no choice but to smile and tell her daughter everything would be okay. Her inexperienced mind was definitely her downfall.