Chapter 19

So

So... Shopping had never been fun for me. I was a very petite girl who apparently had gotten the wrong size of hips, resulting in me not ever fitting into the petite sizes nor the 'normal' ones. I don't know which god had been drunk while they made me, but I was annoyed.

Kissy had no issues. She was the same size as the mannequins, so she barely had to try things on before deciding if she wanted to buy something. She had these long killer legs and basically a body everyone would kill to get.

"How about this? I bet it would look so good with your skin tone," she said enthusiastically and held out a nice yellow shirt for me.

"I don't know..." I muttered. I hadn't ever worn flashy stuff before.

The most flashy thing about me was my afro and I only had that because I was too afraid to go into a salon. I had been once and it had been mortifying. They didn't know what to do with my hair. Didn't even know how to comb it. Ever since that occurrence, my mum had been in charge of what happened to my hair. She would twist it, braid it, flatten it or something completely different. But ever since she had died, I had done nothing with it besides putting a bandana over it when I went to sleep and occasionally comb it.

"Hey Kissy?" I started fingering one of the curls, spinning it around my finger.

"Hmm-mmh?" she murmured under her breath, while she looked very seriously at a leather jacket, she'd look amazing in.

"Do you know how to braid hair?"

She tore her eyes off the offending jacket and settled them on me. "Yes. Why?"

"Could you maybe braid my hair when we get home?"

"Of course I can!" she chirped happily. "I braid my own all the time. I used to go to this amazing salon back in New York. I'll take you there when we go. It can't be long now. I think we're going to visit Mitra, one of Tec and Frej's old friends. He has some awesome parties."

I loved Kissy so much. She was everything I had ever wanted in a friend. She didn't even ask why I didn't just go to a salon to get my hair sorted out. She just changed the subject to something else. Maybe she knew it was awkward for me to talk about, or maybe she just wanted to talk about New York. Who knows really? I was just grateful she never made me feel weird.

We continued into another store that would've made me turn on my heel and march right out again back in my previous life. I did not have money for clothes like these. At all. But Kissy had a credit card so we had no worries, she said.

A nice green dress caught my eyes and I gently ran my fingers over the fabric. It was soft and not too flashy.

"Do you want to try it on, miss?" the clerk asked in a flat accent.

"Please," I said with a low voice and followed her to the dressing room.

I hurried to slip it on and removed the curtain so the clerk could help me with sizing. Of course I needed a smaller size, but as soon as I put it on, I knew I was gonna buy it. I actually thought I looked good in it. It extenuated everything that was good about my body.