Chapter 1

It was like I was flying. Everything felt amazing for a split second or a year, I couldn't tell. I was just floating through nothingness. Things was finally calm. And quiet.

And then it wasn't. It was like needles were pinching me all over my body. It was like they kept digging further and further into my skin.

I hadn't taken a breath through this entire very trippy experience, but all of a sudden I felt myself breathing. I drew in a loud gasp and broke the surface of the water.

I looked down and realised I was in my tub. And I wasn't laying in water. I was laying in my own blood.

Memories came flooding back to me, stunning me. I had come home from yet another day at my shitty office job, finally realising there was no point anymore. There was no point in me living anymore, so I had found the sharp knife I had gotten myself for Christmas last year.

It was part of a set of really good vegetable cutting knives. The blades were black. They had been expensive. I thought it was poetic. 'Cut the emotional vegetable with the vegetable knives.'

It didn't look poetic now, my wrists slashed open and still oozing blood. I had to drag myself out of the tub, my legs feeling incredibly numb.

I was still gasping for air, water gushing out of my mouth. I grasped the side of the tub, trying hard to stay on my feet.

I was supposed to be dead. Judging from my complexion I was probably dead. I was deadly pale. I wasn't normally deadly pale. My mum was black. I was the opposite of pale! But I was pale now. Or as pale as I could be. Ashen.

"It's a nice place you've got," someone said, startling the everliving shite out of me.

I fell down on my ass, screaming my head off.

A guy was sitting on my toilet, his feet on the lid, his ass parked on the cistern, all dressed in black.

He ran his hand through his hair and smiled a bit at me. "I guess it must be terribly confusing for you. Last thing you remember is you dramatically slitting your wrists and now here you are, waking up to some rando sitting on your toilet."

I pulled my legs up to my chest, panting hard. I was terrified. I still held my arms away from me, the vertical gashes on my wrists almost screaming for attention.

He jumped off the toilet and started towards me. I tried to push my back as far against the wall as I possibly could, trying to make myself as small as possible.

This was a nightmare and I'd wake up in a minute. It was all just a nightmare. I clenched my eyes shut, but then I felt him close to me. I opened my eyes and met the gaze of the stranger. Startling black eyes were staring back at me.

"Well, you're still dead. I can tell you that much. But you've been given a second chance." He sat down in front of me on the white tiled floor and sighed a bit. "I'm here to give you that second chance. You see, Death likes when she's welcomed with open arms. When someone truly wishes to die, she notices it. And sometimes, she wants to give people a second chance. People like you, Aura. You don't have to be afraid anymore. Your old life... It's over."