Chapter Nine

╔═══━━━─── • ───━━━═══╗
the mission

╔═══━━━─── • ───━━━═══╗the mission

╚═══━━━─── • ───━━━═══╝

As the days passed, the Fourth Quadrant training began to shift slightly, focusing less on physicality and more on precision in shooting and dueling.

There was a rumor going around about Ronin replacing Khana as the top archer in the camp, but Khana's record seemed too flawless to beat.

Alexander had made many improvements in dueling and was in fact naturally skilled in direct-combat.

Direct combat was one of Grian's top mediums as well, and she had seemed to take the position as his instructor.

"Sometimes you don't need to follow all the way through, try keeping your hits lose and sharp." She told him as he was practicing on one of the training dummies.

His form was quite good, but he tended to throw too loosely which was a catalyst to losing one's balance.

"Keep your eyes up." She added, noticing he tended to look at the ground. A common mistake, one she was often still guilty of making. She'd been learning direct combat for a while before they'd been drafted, and her father had always been her teacher.

Alexander jabbed at the leather dummy, his eyes locked on it. He was a quick learner and didn't often make the same mistake twice, which made Grian's job easier.

"Good." Grian nodded at his improvement.

"Maybe soon I'll be able to quit these extra training measures," Alexander said after he'd finished his last combination.

"Well you're improving," Grian told him.

"You're a good teacher. It's unfair that you have to help me with this."

"No more unfair then anything around here," Grian said bitterly, recalling Heirsa's betrothal to Lady Ashira.

"Something bothering you?" Alexander asked.

"It's not relevant to you," Grian responded, pulling her hair up and trying it with a lace of leather.

"What is it?"

"The first general is engaged to Lady Ashira, the Queen's sister."

"Aaaand...?" Alexander persisted. "How is that relevant to you?" He asked as he drank from a cask.

"The First General is my brother." She responded.

Alexander seemed to choke on the water but managed to swallow. "Wow." He said. "That explains why you're so hardcore."

"Hardcore?" Grian echoed. "What do you mean?"

"You're intense. Fierce."

Grian raised a brow. "Nobody's ever described me that way before," She wasn't sure how she felt about Alexander; he was so...odd. His clothes, the words he used, they were all so foreign.

Despite the confidence he seemed to have, beneath it she could sense a man who was confused and hurting. It made her curious, but wary at the same time.

"Soldiers, your attention!" Lieutenant Javal called above the low hum of conversation filling the meeting tent.

"Orders have come in. The fourth quad will be launched in a week's time. From now until then you will be trained in stealth and we will give you the layout of your mission."

Grian felt a pit open in her stomach as she heard those words. They were being sent out. It all became real to her at that moment. She was fighting in this war whether she liked it or not.

Ronin looked down at her, sensing her unease. "We'll make it," he told her, although in his heart he still had doubts.

"You sound pretty confident for someone who's never fought a battle in his life," Glas said from beside Ronin. Her eyes were still fixed on the officer as he went on about the terrain they'd be coursing and whatnot. She didn't go on though and didn't seem to expect a reply.

Alexander didn't say anything for the remainder of the afternoon after they'd received orders. He seemed miserable as if the sudden reality of being a soldier hit him and weighed him down. He'd always seemed to have a heavy heart before then, but until now it was as if he couldn't cover it up any longer.
The soldiers were given the map of the area they'd be sent, along with their course of action. They'd be infiltrating a small Republican town near the Zee borders. Since it was so near Shard, the town was heavily guarded by Zee soldiers. The mission promised to be difficult.

"My love, there is something I need to ask of you," Heirsa told Ashira as they walked through the castle hallways together

"My love, there is something I need to ask of you," Heirsa told Ashira as they walked through the castle hallways together. Ashira had insisted on seeing her betrothed once a day, and so the arrangements had been made that he would escort her to the dining hall every evening.

"Go on; it's not often I see you vulnerable with a request, I'm intrigued by it," Ashira responded with a faint smile of amusement. She held his arm as they walked, and Heirsa now finally felt accustomed to her touch.

"The fourth quadrant is being sent out in a week. I must go with them to ensure their success in their mission." He said, his voice quite monotone as he kept his gaze fixed ahead.

"The wedding is in a week's time." Ashira contradicted. "Surely you intend on being present for it?"

"If I had any other choice I'd likely say no," Heirsa replied.

Ashira nudged him with her shoulder. "Excuse me but that's no way to speak to your dear betrothed, you may break her heart." She said with a laugh.

"Ah, of course, my apologies." Heirsa chuckled lightly.

"I suppose if it is critical, we can postpone the ceremony,"

"You have sympathy for your war man fiancé after all?" Heirsa asked.

Ashira laughed. "I suppose the queen will need to be informed, but I doubt she'll be pleased."

"She'll have to understand I suppose. It's not like many things please her anyway."

"That reminds me. I've seen the way you treat her and speak to her. You don't treat her like a queen, in fact, you treat her worse then you've treated me."

"You mean to say I've mistreated you?" Heirsa asked with amusement.

Ashira laughed again. "Well, you do tend to run your mouth a little, especially with that wit and silver tongue,"

"I suppose I don't treat her like a queen because she's don't nothing to deserve her position," Heirsa answered.

"But how does she allow you to get away with it? Back talking and whatnot?"

"I suppose she needs me to oversee her wars."

"So you get to act like a child simply because she's afraid to discipline you. What a bad little boy!" Ashira exclaimed, a smile in her eyes.

Heirsa felt himself smile too. "Yes well, I have got that reputation haven't I?"