Chapter Six

╔═══━━━─── • ───━━━═══╗
arrangements

╔═══━━━─── • ───━━━═══╗arrangements

╚═══━━━─── • ───━━━═══╝

The rest of Heirsa's morning was filled with his business with the palace guard and the second army quadrant. He'd only just returned to his room when there was knock at the door from one of the Queen's handmaids.

"Her majesty requests your immediate presence in the throne room," she told him after he'd opened the door to her.

"Please inform the queen that I have no desire to further discuss our conversation earlier." Heirsa replied.

"Sir—"

"Heirsa." He abruptly corrected. "How rude of me not to introduce myself."

The handmaid looked slightly confused, but smiled despite that. "Well nice to formally meet you, First General."

"No no. My friends only call me Heirsa. Now what's your name?"

"Metta."

"See? Now we're friends. Call me 'Heirsa'. Nothing more."

Metta's eyes flickered curiously but she nodded. "Alright, Heirsa; the Queen said it was urgent. Lady Ashira has just arrived."

Heirsa bit his lip thoughtfully. "I suppose I'll be right there then,"

Metta looked satisfied, then went back to other tasks.

Heirsa felt unsure of the situation at hand. He knew exactly what was about to happen, and whether or not he wanted it he wasn't certain.

"First General." Irisa greeted him as he entered the throne room. The towering ceiling and pale stone walls seemed to contrast with the tense, forceful air that filled the room. But then, the Queen had her ways and force was one of them.

Beside the queen's position on the throne, stood another tall, pale woman. She appeared only slightly younger, with the same stony blue eyes and high-set cheekbones. Her narrow black floor length gown set off the glowing platinum tone of her hair, which hung down in delicate tills to frame her face. She was obviously Irisa's younger sister, with her deceptive gentility and cold eyes.

"Your majesty," Heirsa bowed his head briefly before approaching the dais and kissing the Lady's hand.

"Lady Ashira I presume,"

"And you are Heirsa Ruse?"

"I am, your ladyship." Heirsa replied.

Ashira scoffed. "Your ladyship. Surely this man isn't to be my husband; simply another war man hardened at the heart by battle and now with no regard for romance." Her previous husband had also been a man of title in the army, aside from the governer of a small state in Shard. He'd become one of the many soldiers slain in battle.