CHAPTER FORTY-SEVEN

I chucked the phone on my desk, rubbed the sweat from my brow and grappled my hair by the root

I chucked the phone on my desk, rubbed the sweat from my brow and grappled my hair by the root. Electronic dance music thundered from the main room, juddering the mini bar's whiskey collection, which successfully irritated every bone in my body.

If I said to terminate Cherry's employment, would you?

I turned on the surveillance and watched Cherry flirt with risqué customers in the Diamond Suite.

Why do you take drugs?

Heaped cocaine dirtied the desk.

What do you need?

Alexa. Always.

When I'm ready to see you, I will get in touch.

Goodbye, Liam.

No, it's never goodbye for us.

I lit a cigarette, and smoke rolled down my throat.

"Fuck," I spat, swiping the cocaine across the room.

Ice-cold fury flooded my veins. I rounded the desk, dragging faint white footsteps across the hardwood floor, and exited the office simultaneously as our red-haired working girl appeared. "Mr Warren." Cherry brandished wads of hard-earned cash. "I made the rounds—"

My palm struck her cheek.

Cherry legs collapsed beneath her weight, and she nose-dived to the floor. Stunned into stark horror, she scuttled until her back hit the wall. "Sir..." Round, wet eyes peered up at me. "What did I do?"

Stepping over strewn fifty-pound notes, I crouched to place us eye-level. "Have you forgotten your place?"

Cherry's lips quivered. "I..." Her mouth opened and closed. "If this is about—" My hand snatched her throat. "Sir, please." Thrashing against the invasion, she clawed my wrist as I heaved her body up the wall. "It hurts..."

"You were nothing but a junkie fucking bitch when I took you off the streets," I snarled, my fingers crushing her neck, restricting her air supply. "I can throw you back in the gutter." Our noses touched. "Just one merciless phone call, and you'll be the worthless possession of yardies once more. Bianca."

"Please don't," she whimpered, hot tears streaming from her crystal blue eyes. "I want to be here."

"If you upset my wife one more time," I said with a deathly promise, and her nodding became vigorously desperate. "I will watch while they punish you and still sleep peacefully at night. Have I made myself abundantly fucking clear?"

"Yes," she cried.

I threw Cherry aside. Her body rolled across the shiny, leather shoes of stationed security. "Put the money on my desk," I ordered, listening to her short, whooping cough. "Do not make an enemy of me, Cherry. I will ruin you."