8

san stepped back, looking at do-yun beside him

san stepped back, looking at do-yun beside him. he had been hunting for the boy for an hour or so and had finally figured out that he was at the chess match taking place this evening, he had stayed waiting for the match to complete then taken his chances with do-yun before it had ended.

he had stayed at the school waiting for mina, when she didn't show up they had gone back home and waited, yet she still didn't come, he personally assumed she was round soo-jin's (a girl's house oddly no one knew of its whereabouts), his parents believed otherwise.

mr park had come round and tried to locate her whereabouts which seemed a failure, and however had asked for an hour to go looking for her as he believed she would be doing something they had mentioned earlier.

he had been out for long and assumed the police were now hunting her down, he just hoped she was round soo-jin's.

-

the door greeted the face of a loving mother, "do-yun you made a friend?" she asked, and however dismissed this and found himself gazing behind, he could hear a beautiful laughing noise from behind, one filled with happiness and finally some serendipity.

"he is looking for a mina, is she here?" do-yun asked, the woman turned her head seeing his distant face, he had settled a thin smile on his face and was looking forward in a trance at the mellow laughter that was echoing the house walls.

"she is, who is he?"

"hi, i am san." he reached out his hand to the woman, she gaze him a side glance then reached out and shook his hand feeling the brows radiating heat, like a mellow ball of sunshine. "for mina, she is living with us. it's time for her to come home."

"no, please don't take her away." san felt his eyes flutter at the way the woman sounded whining at the fact she would have to part from mina, it shocked him how someone wanted her to stay. perhaps it was her mesmerising laugh that was so shocking that made the woman feel at ease, maybe mina had a soft side for soo-jin, maybe-

"san?" he turned, seeing as soo-jin came to the door with mina awkwardly behind her. "mina, I think he is here for you."

"yeah...he is." she scratched the back of her neck nervously and stared at him with pitiful eyes.

"time to leave, mr park is expecting you."

soo-jin was confused, confused was a bold word, was mina in trouble? she didn't choose to ask, she simply assisted mina in gathering her things and helping her back to the door. do-yun having come inside clearly done with the whole situation. "hey, uh, san, don't tell people I live here."

-

"san, i am sorry." she claimed as she faced him. "i told you."

"you didn't not really, mr park is there and police officers, you know that!" he yelled looking at her as they walked away from the house, "you could be sent to juvie, do you even care mina?" he spat.

for once she didn't say anything. san had already broken down after only a week or so, he was speaking in hate towards her, he had wanted to help but it was clear after meeting her he had changed his mind.

"you should care, because people want you to go places. you should want to go places, prove yourself and everyone that wronged you that you aren't just a troubled-"

"you know it's rich from you san, because you had people guiding you through it, you can say this because you don't understand a second of my life." she whispered, stopping.

looking at him, her eyes began watering, but the tears rested against her cheeks retaliating the force to fall.

"you don't get it. they have police there for me, they won't ever trust me, all i was doing was a project for school. and this is what i get people thinking i'm doing bad." she paused, wiping her eyes with the sleeve of her jacket end, "i told you, no one believed me. how can i do right when people expect the worst of me? it would be easier to leave than stay."

"that's not what i am saying mina."

"maybe I should make them believe the worst of me."

"mina, wait-" san turned his head quick seeing as she ran down the pathway, she looked at her as she sprinted forward trying to get away from him, "mina stop, this isn't going to help you-" he echoed loudly, he stopped and watched as she turned and faced him.

her lip was quivering as her tears streamed in floods of tears. she sniffled for a moment, he looked at her with the distinct pain seeping against her skin. "i want to help you. i know I haven't done my best towards you." he stated, blaming himself. "but I just don't know what is best for you. i was told tough love was better, but, that didn't work nor-"

"don't blame yourself." she whispered, "i can't just be fixed, sannie."

"do you wanna talk about it?" he asked.

"i have always been told to conceal how i feel, to make sure no one knows. you know i can't do what people want me to i can't be what people want me to... and i was okay with that." she paused and breathed out, "i can't just change who i am, i can't be this person like you san."

"you don't have to be like me mina, you are mina and i am san. two different people. but you don't have to act like you don't care, you must want to do something to be someone worth living for." those words rang through her head like a hammer smacking her skull and cracking the skin, she breathed out and looked at him. her best friend hadn't had anything worth living for, they had wanted her to be someone for them. and she hadn't.

san looked at her shoulders being slumped, shaking, in addition to this the weather took a turn and began slowly spitting. the rain collecting onto her hair and clothes, joining her tears against her cheeks. she took a few steps towards san who was standing and looking down at her in pity, his hair dripping down over his face. he jolted as he felt her move and wrap her arms around him into a hug, he felt his heart stop for a moment as he held her back.

her head resting against his chest moving slowly up and down through the tears that were burning her skin.