Chapter Seven.

She was drinking her morning coffee while her kids slept, she had the news on more for noise than for watching. The news reporter went through the general things in the area and she tuned most of it out until they started talking about a dead body found in the seedy side of the city.

The body of a man was discovered early this morning by fishermen down on the docks, the body appears to be that of a Hispanic male. Authorities tell us they are still trying to identify the body and homicide is suspected

She turned it up as the female anchor rattled on this information as if it was commonplace and she was only speaking of the weather. Was that the rat? Had Rhys finally got him?

She tried to forget it and go on about her day but it kept repeating in her mind and the longer the day went on and she didn't hear from Rhys the most it began to eat at her.

Finally, after putting Alex and Mya down for their naps she broke and tried to contact him, instead of texting this time she called.

She wasn't surprised when he didn't answer, they weren't exactly best friend looking to gossip. He was a dangerous and busy man, she was just a side project.

She set the phone aside with a heavy sigh and turned her attention to the laundry.

She was folding a set of sheets when the phone buzzed signaling someone was calling her, she flipped it open knowing it had to be Rhys.

"Hello?"

"What do you want?" He asked, sounding bored

"I...I saw a body on the news and I thought maybe that was your rat."

"What? you think every single body they find in town I must be a part of?"

"No, of course not."

She felt stupid for even calling now, of course, the body might have absolutely nothing to do with him.

"It's safer for you if you don't know all the ins and outs of this business," He said after a short pause.

"Right, of course."

"I'll have a job for you in a few days, I'll text you the details."

"Okay."

"Is there anything else I can do for you?" He asked, his voice taking on a fake cheerfulness.

"I...I found the paperwork. I can prove that Jordan was stealing your money."

"Yeah?"

"I can give it to you and you can go to the police, I won't stop you."

"Yeah? Do you think? You think I can just walk into the police department and tell them a banker stole my illegal money?" He laughed.

"Fine...I'll take it to the police for you."

"Yeah, sweetheart I take it you didn't look too closely at the papers. You spent a majority of it...you knew how much was in your accounts...your husband has everything in place to make you an accomplice."

She fell silent, her stomach dropping. An accomplice? if her husband was caught she could lose custody of her children.

"Why would he do that?" She asked nobody in particular.

"It's probably not on purpose, he's just not as smart as he thinks he is." Rhys offered.

That excuse didn't make her feel any better but she didn't point that out, she didn't think she needed too. Either way, it meant she was trapped in this lie even longer, trying to get back this mans money and she couldn't go to the police for help.