Chapter Five.

Jordan was distant for the next day or two, she knew it was because she had come to his office without telling him beforehand and he hated when she just showed up on her own. She focused more on her kids than anything, growing tired of Jordan and his random mood swings.

A few days went by and she didn't hear from the man her husband owed money too, the phone didn't ring, she didn't receive any text messages and she didn't see him. She hoped he had forgotten about her, she watched the news in hopes of seeing he was arrested or possible shot, anything that meant he would leave her alone.

She was folding clothes at the dining room table when Jordan came home one evening, he set his briefcase aside and dropped his jacket and tie on top moving to the fridge for a cold beer.

"Don't forget you promised Alexander we would go to the movies," She said.

"I won't forget my own son, I'll take him a night."

"What night?"

"I don't know, Liz. work is hectic."

"He's really looking forward to it."

"I know, me too."

He took a long drink, leaning against the kitchen counter he eyed the cell phone lying beside her. The one the man had given her, he watched it a second but didn't ask.

She folded a small blue shirt and set it aside in the pile for Alexanders room, she wanted to grab the phone and stick it somewhere he wouldn't see it but didn't want to look suspicious.

"I have to go out of town, for a few days." He said suddenly.

"When?"

"Next week," He admitted.

"All week?" She stopped folding and turned towards him.

"No, I'll leave Sunday morning and be back first thing Friday morning. It's for a conference in Houston. I don't want to go but...I don't have a choice if I want this promotion."

"But...this is Friday."

"Yeah, I know what day it is."

"You won't be able to take Alex to the movies if you're gone," She pointed out.

"I'll take him tomorrow," He replied.

She gave a small nod, doubting he would follow through and hoping he did she turned back to the laundry.

"Is Trinity going with you? to Houston?" She ventured.

"No, of course not." He set his beer down giving her his full attention.

"She's very pretty," She pointed out.

"Yeah, she is and?" He shrugged.

He either didn't get the point that Elizabeth was trying to make or he was pretending not too. She wasn't sure which.

"You spend a lot of time with her."

"She's my secretary, Liz. Geez, I can't believe how jealous you can be," He turned to pick up his beer heading towards the living room.

She watched him disappear and when he was gone she quickly shoved the cell phone into the laundry basket, she would get it out later.

She followed him into the living room where he had turned on the television and was watching the news, she waited before sinking onto the couch next to him.

"Anything good going on?" She asked, forcing conversation.

"A drive-by in the city between two gangs, five people are dead...looks like the shooters escaped on foot," He replied taking a long drink of beer.