chapter seventeen

It was a normal Monday night except for the fact that Jordan wasn't home.

Elizabeth paced in the living room, her cuticles a bloody mess from her chewing them.

Although it wasn't strange for Jordan to stay at work late, he always called or would text, and he never stayed this late. Glancing at the clock, she saw it was after midnight.

She picked up her cell phone, preparing to call him when the door opened.
Turning, she saw Jordan step inside.

His hair was a mess, his tie was missing, a few buttons were gone from his shirt, and it was a wrinkled mess.

"Jordan!" She hurried towards him.

"Hey, baby, what are you still doing up?" He asked, giving her a one-armed hug.

"I was so worried," she admitted.

"Yeah, sorry, I guess I lost track of time."

"I thought something happened to you."

"Yeah, I know I'm a mess...I uh... got a little roughed up in the parking lot at work."

"By who?" She asked.

"Someone I owe some money too, it's okay, I'm fine."

He dropped a kiss on her forehead and set his briefcase aside.

"I'm going to go get a shower. Would you mind just whipping me up something to eat?" He asked.

"Sure."

He walked past her and up the stairs. Something seemed off, but she couldn't place it. He didn't seem like himself.

She hadn't heard from Rhys in days. Did he get tired of playing games with her and go straight for Jordan?

She opened her purse and pulled the phone out that Rhys gave her. She hesitated before dialing the number he usually called from.

"Yeah?"

"Uhm... Hi," she said.

"What do you want?" He barked.

"It's um... Elizabeth," she said.

"I know who it is," He replied.

"Did you see Jordan tonight?"

"No."

"But... he said someone jumped him...after work," she winced at how pathetic she sounded.

"It wasn't me,' Rhys replied sharply.

"Oh..."

He sighed heavily on the end of the lone, and she heard his tone softening the next time he spoke.

"You want to know what happened? Get a babysitter for tomorrow... I'll pick you up. I'll show you who your husband is."

"I don't understand."

"I know, just be ready after you put your babies to bed."

He hung up, and she listened closely as she heard the shower still going upstairs. Whatever Jordan was lying about, Rhys already knew about it, so why didn't he tell her?

*************************************

This time, she got a local teen to banysit after putting the kids to bed. She couldn't risk anyone telling Jordan she was leaving again so late at night.

She waited on the porch until a large all black SUV parked in the driveway. She carefully hurried down the sidewalk and climbed into the back seat.
She was surprised to see Rhys not in his usual spot in the back but behind the drivers seat.