In short, the underground was basically their own version of a government. They had their own world wide web that was completely untouchable by people using normal internet-based servers and telecommunications. Lycanthropy was, after all, a worldwide phenomenon and the book mentioned a few werewolf families reaching as far back as human history went.

Sebastian wasn't kidding, I realized, awed by what I was reading. They've really been around long enough to have met Jesus, maybe even people before that like Moses, and Abraham... maybe even Adam and Eve? I have no idea, but this is... wait, huh?

I froze when I came across something that disturbed me and a chill went up my spine.

"What the fuck?!" I squealed, jerking back in alarm. "What the fuck?! NO WAY!"

I leaned close to the page again and stared at the words with bugging eyes at the portion about werewolves being in heat. Specifically, about male werewolves being in heat. 

And pregnancy.

My throat closed up as I scanned it, then did a double take and read it again.

And again.

And again with the same result.

"Um, hello? Biology?!" I whispered, scratching my head in confused alarm, "dude plus dude does not equal baby, right? I know this, you know this, we've done the math, so how the fuck?!"

I leaned close to the book again, swallowing my apprehension, trying to figure out if I was reading things wrong... only it turned out that werewolf math worked differently sometimes. I narrowed my eyes and lifted the book onto my lap, reading it intensely, unable to believe it.

Female werewolves could only get pregnant by a male werewolf while being in heat, which was a state of insatiable sexual desperation and need that could drive even the most level-headed person insane. It tended to fade on its own after three weeks unless the one in heat got pregnant during, which would typically only take one act of intercourse due to the boost in fertility.

Pregnancy itself would last roughly twelve to thirteen months if there were no complications. It was a few months longer than a normal human woman's. 

The part that had me reeling was the fact that the book said male werewolves could also go into heat, only for them it was called a rut. When they did so, the male's sexual drive would skyrocket to the point of insanity. Many violent and brutal sexual assaults had reportedly happened as a result of werewolf males sinking into this state.  

Neither heat nor rut had a specific bodily cycle and tended to happen at random, but it was written that even though most of the males did the assaulting, there had been cases where men  had found themselves with child after anal intercourse with another guy. 

My jaw dropped and my eyes bugged as shock made my mind go numb.

My ears and temples prickled as I digested and processed that unbelievable information.

"Holy shit!" I squeaked, stunned. "Dude plus dude does equal baby?! What the fuck?!"

I leaned back and flopped on the bed, pushing my hair off my forehead as I blinked, dazed.

Does this mean, hypothetically, I wondered slowly, heart pounding hard, that werewolves can have kids even if they're gay? How does that even work with the male anatomy? I mean, a baby is made in a woman's uterus with an egg that can be fertilized by a sperm cell, but how the fuck does that even work with a guy? Especially since they can only do butt stuff!

I didn't know and it was driving me nuts so I flung myself upward and opened the table of contents, quickly scanning the pages with my lips pressed into a thin line. It took me a while, but I found what I was looking for and flipped to the section about male werewolf anatomy.