Chapter 6

KATNISS' POV

"Katniss? Did you hear me?" Asks my mom. I heard her, perfectly. But I didn't want to. All I can do is sit on the side of the bed with my head glued to my hands.

My mom sits next to me, rubbing my back. In an instant, the door flings open and someone runs in. I assume it's Haymitch because my mother gets up from where she is sitting, and leaves.

I haven't taken my face out of my hands, I block the light from my eyes, knowing that, if i look up, reality will be confirmed.

He sits in the bed next to me, and for the longest time, stays silent. Finally he swallows hard

"Katniss" he says quietly and in an instant I realize it isn't Haymitch, it's Gale.

I look up and scoot away immediately

"Katniss wait" he says, reaching out to me. I see the worry in his eyes. I try so hard to be mad at him, for killing Prim, for aiding Coin instead of helping me, for judging Peeta when he was bashing the rebels. But something takes over me, I have nobody to turn to, Peeta is always there for me, but he can't be this time. So I look over at Gale and start bawling, and he pulls me into his arms.

"It's okay Katnip" he whispers

"No it's not" I exclaim, burying my face into his chest. It wasn't until that moment that I realized how much I had truly missed him. I closed off the part of myself that loved him, and he just opened it back up.

"I'm going to do something about it katnip I promise" I just sob harder

Oakley starts to cry, he was napping on the bed behind us, but I guess my crying disturbed his precious sleep

"Shhhh, it's okay baby boy" I say, lifting him onto my lap, I run my fingers under his eye, wiping away his tears.

"Your Daddy is..." I start, but I'm unable to finish the sentence, I start crying again, shaking. Gale lifts Oakley out of my arms, and even though I want to, I don't stop him.

"Hi there" he says, holding Oak's hand, I lean my head on his shoulder. The last person I want to turn to for comfort is Gale, but at the same time, he's the only one I want to comfort me right now. Besides the drunk who's mostly likely somewhere throwing up or tripping over himself

We sat there for a few minutes, Gale cooing over Oakley, when there is a knock at the door. I don't want to get up and answer it, and he walks in.

"Haymitch!" I yelp, running over to him, he pulls me into a hug

"It's going to be okay sweetheart" he says softly

"How can you say that?" Gale asks, almost offended at Haymitch's words of false hope, I turn my head to Gale and wipe my eyes

"Because I asked him to stay with me, and he said always" 

ugh these are so short! sorry guys! I hope you enjoyed anyways! comment anything you'd like to see happen! have a GREAT Monday (if you can 😉)