CHAPTER FORTY-THREE

Start from the beginning

"Alright, Einstein." Brad ignored the paperwork. "How did you get in touch with his mother?"

"Well, I used my due diligence, typed names into Google and called possible leads until satisfied." His lips twisted into a sardonic grin. "Any other questions?"

"Diego's mother is a homophobic bigot." Vincent's still reading the man's file. "She alienated her son for being gay."

"Yeah, Pamina's a vitriolic blabbermouth," Josh said. "In fact, she was vociferously informative. Diego calls his older brother biweekly with updates on his whereabouts and whatnot. I jotted down two locations and some names. Get this. Angelo has a daughter." He provided copies of birth certificates. "Milana D'Agostino. Her mother, Ingrid, filed her abduction in Treviso, Vento last year. Is it possible Angelo kidnapped Milana, and she's someplace in London?"

"Perhaps." I pondered his question. "Why so many family secrets?"

"According to Pamina, Angelo's mentally unbalanced. He dishonoured his family on several occasions, which explains why Moretti's reluctant to have a relationship with him."

"Alberto's ashamed of his first-born son," Vincent carried on the conversation. "Surely, Diego informed Alberto of Angelo's disappearance. Why hasn't the old man made contact?"

Brad licked a toothpick to the corner of his mouth. "Maybe he's glad to see the back of him."

"I have an eventful week planned and many people to visit." I sipped coffee. "Let's start with Bernardo Russo. In the meantime, hunt down Diego Serafini. I'd like to sit with him." My chin jerked to Josh. "Proceed."

Josh clicked the top of a pen. "Are you familiar with the name Leighton Lynch?"

His name rang zero bells. "No."

"He's one of your errand boys in Hackney." Josh leant over the table to hand me the printout. "We haven't received one payment from him in over six months, yet he continues to sell and profit. Nate cut off his drug supply and cornered him three weeks ago. He promised to clear his outstanding balance but failed to deliver. We can arrange a meeting for you to speak with him directly or tie up loose ends ourselves."

I paid scarce attention to details. "I want you and Nate to recover what is rightfully mine to clear Lynch's arrears: money, jewellery, vehicles and so forth. He will argue his case in craven opportunism." My lips broke into a slow smirk. "But I am not feeling very forgiving right now." Scrunching the sheet into a ball, I tossed it in the bin behind me. "Bury him."

Josh's head dipped. "Alexa authorised additional security while you were in the hospital." He gave us the names of the syndicate's new security detail. "Nate said they are ready to leave the army barracks." He pushed off the chair and came to my side, placing the contract on the table for me to sign. "Brad designated them strategically. Unless you disagree with the system, I need you to finalise details before they arrive."

With the pen pinched between my fingers, I signed with cursive handwriting. "Cherry?" I returned the contract. "Tell Nate I need to speak with him before you head back to the kitchen."

Her blue eyes dazzled in curiosity. "Sir."

I eyed the stationed men in the room. "Leave," I ordered, and the low-ranked individuals dispersed down the hall. "Where are you going?"

Vincent paused by the door. "I am to attend a lunch date."

"A lunch date?" Brad tucked into a colourful salad. "Is she dog-ugly?"

My brother wore a bored expression. "Is that a serious question, Jones?"

"I don't know, Vinny Boy." He reached for bottled water. "I am trying to understand how someone so plain-looking pegged a hot date. Unless, of course, she's buck-toothed and sporting a poxy monobrow."