CHAPTER FORTY-THREE

I presided over the assemblage of syndicate men in Club 11's underground conference room to plan a comprehensive manoeuvre against the Italians

I presided over the assemblage of syndicate men in Club 11's underground conference room to plan a comprehensive manoeuvre against the Italians. Anthony Costello's dead and buried, pushing up the daisies, and Johnny Cazale, the disreputable nightclub owner, undergoes systematic torture in the chambers. Taking Cazale into custody went better than expected. I anticipated an Italian brigade of biddable minions and a fusillade of gunfire. Cazale was defenceless. He enjoyed neat scotch and orgasmic sex before I shot the female riding his cock, and Vincent knocked him into unconsciousness with his gun handle.

Cazale's excruciating screams echoed down the hall.

I stared at the unclosed door, wondering which torture method Nate used to amplify the man's accentuated beseeching.

"What of Alberto's cousin, Bernardo Russo?"

I answered Josh's question. "I want his beating heart in the palm of my hand."

Brad revised notes. "I don't believe Russo's in Sicily." Chewing a toothpick, he closed the folder and slid it across the table to Josh. "Permission to put an idea forward." I blinked once, and he continued, "If Cazale takes Moretti's location to the grave, send a group of female decoys to Russo's Billiard House. Keep it short and sweet. A game of pool, a round of shots, and the occasional flirting with punters. If Russo's in the building, he'll rear his ugly head and introduce himself. Meanwhile," he watched the buxom redhead arrange delivered beverages and premade deli sandwiches on the table, "Cherry can give us the heads up when he arrives. I'll be on standby with Josh."

Cherry stood ramrod straight. "You want to send me?"

"Accomplishable." Vincent uncapped coffee to let it cool. "You should make an entrance, though." He leaned back in his chair and goaded me with challenging eyes. "You have loyal, dedicated men keen to fight on your behalf. However, desperate times call for desperate measures. Bernardo's had you on a wild goose chase for long enough. Who better to knee-cap the bastard in his natural habitat than you?"

"Affirmative." I then addressed the only female in the room. "Do you associate with friends outside of work?"

She risked a glance at Brad. "Yes."

"Two will suffice. Invite them here to attend a confidential meeting with Brad. He can explain what I expect from them. And yourself, of course." I selected a black coffee and removed the plastic lid. "Preferably in the next few days."

Brad's pensive as he looked from one person to the other. "Thoughts on Angelo's lover, Diego?"

"Funny you should ask. I did a little bit of research with the information you provided." Josh chewed into a peanut butter protein bar. "Diego Serafini. He's the youngest of seven. All boys. Left his family home at the age of sixteen."

My second in command glared daggers. "Who is the reliable source?"

"Pamina Serafini." Unclipping a ring binder, Josh strewed printed documents around the table for everyone. "His mother."